CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Quinnipiac River
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Quinnipiac River Reply with quote

I really want to get out this year doing something I have been wanting to do for a while, take the yak down the Q. I've seen a lot of decent size smallies taken out of the river and passing by the slow meandering sections everyday on the parkway makes me just want to do it more and more. Anyone familiar with where to put in and take out? Looking to paddle thru a decent stretch maybe starting below the dam off exit 64 and taking out a few miles downstream if possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
elm city matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a canoe launch right behind the rest stop on the northbound side after exit 63. You can access it from the rest stop or Banton street off of upper state street that connects to the back of rest stop.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a spot to take out downstream?
elm city matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another launch on Sackett Point road behind the Tilcon yard. when you pull into Tilcon parking lot there is a dirt road all the way to the right. Google map it you cant miss it. plenty of parking mostly used by duck hunters. Keep the tides in mind, during the incoming tide water is moving upstream pretty swiftly.
elm city matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a thought, off of exit 64 is where the new fish ladder is on river st. You should see if its possible to launch from there and fish down to the rest stop that will be the most productive, scenic, and cleanest section of the river. Once you pass rt.22 the river is very tidal and in my opinion gets pretty nasty. Lots of trash, debris, tires ect. Let me know when you're gonna go I live 5 minutes from all those spots so if u need a ride back up to your vehicle i could help u out. Have a van with roof rack.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the rest stop?
elm city matt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After exit 63 on the northbound side of the Merritt Parkway
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch at Tilcon plant on sackett pt road in north haven. Paddle with the current either upstream or down depending on the tide,...if you time your launch about an hour from either high or low tide you can be going with the current going from the launch and then coming back to it! Very Happy
I have found that the tides at the Tilcon launch coincide pretty well with what's posted for Middletown on the CT River!! Just google ct river tides and you will find it.
Have fun,..it's a nice little river around there!! Cool
rmflint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyyy I haven't seen you on here in awhile. There is a launch in North Haven right near the Merritt Parkway. Its behind the mobile station going north bound and is accessed from Banton St which fans off of State St which comes off of Route 5/Route 22. Let me know if you ever go I'll check it out with you because that part of the Q never gets pressure and I know for a fact that if flows into some nice ponds.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rmflint"]heyyy I haven't seen you on here in awhile. There is a launch in North Haven right near the Merritt Parkway. Its behind the mobile station going north bound and is accessed from Banton St which fans off of State St which comes off of Route 5/Route 22. Let me know if you ever go I'll check it out with you because that part of the Q never gets pressure and I know for a fact that if flows into some nice ponds.[/quote]

Agreed. Some of the ponds on there are fantastic fishing, Stripers, smallies, etc. Let me know if you guys end up going down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: