CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Rainbow 6/3, Halls Pond 6/4, and Mansfield North 6/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atkins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Rainbow 6/3, Halls Pond 6/4, and Mansfield North 6/5 Reply with quote

Wanted to try some new spots this weekend
Friday afternoon headed to Rainbow Reservoir in Windsor, Nice spot, wind did not cooperate. On the weekend this place I imagine is a zoo with skiers and jet skis.
1 smallie, on wacky flickit jig green/silver dinger.
Turbid water here

6/4 Halls Pond
The dep guide lists this place as good for big bass, gave it a shot. Another bad wind day but halls has lots of islands and coves to hide in, Has more coast line then most lakes twice its size. Tiny parking area, but pressure I think is low.
A great paddling lake, but in the middle of nowhere, makes sure you filled up your car with gas and bring your snacks and drinks beforehand.
Water here is very clear.

4 pickerel, 2 on wacky flickit jig with black and silver dinger, 2 on drop shot reddish trick worm
1 bluegill, forgot what I used I think a shallow diver, salmo?
2 Bass, on the flickit jig with black silver dinger.

6/5 Mansfield north
2 Bass, flickit jig with dark green chartuese tip senkos
1 blue gill, shallow perch colored salmo
1 perch, on the salmo

Started off nice, nabbed the first bass with 15 mins of starting, nice one pounder, hoping that was the sign of a good day, caught the next bass not to far after, slowed after that, shouldve stayed in that spot, but I like moving around.

Paddled into the fenton, saw some funky fish rooting around a stomp, went into a hole, probaly a bullhead, had some orange thing on its tail.
Im seeing lots of orioles this year.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that you shouldn't "leave fish for fish", but I like to paddle around, too.

Could your funky Fenton fish have been a bowfin? I've read thay they can get pretty colorful, sometimes:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spot was was really small, bright orange, Im thinking just a growth on a bullhead. It was shallow, foot of water. Ill have to see if I can find it again. My first thought was an Oscar somebody tossed in the water, but I dont think there is anyway a cichlid would survive.

Im a sucker for moving on, the adventure is part of the fun, Though the 2 or so bass im catching these days are better then the none of previous weeks.

Phil, I think youd love Halls, its a drive from where you are, but a great paddling lake, tons of island, only 6 or so houses on it, clear water. According to the DEP lake and pond guide its good for bass. The people I talked to said they have gotten some nice pickerel out of there, the four I caught were much bigger then the average pickerel you nab in lakes or ponds. There are Crappie, I saw tons of tiny ones swimming around, Dont know if there are any big ones, Crappie are outside of my realm of fishing knowledge.

And I gotta try your circle hook idea, You should give the flickits a try, they have em in Farr's in Manchester, expensive, 7 bucks for 4 but they work for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: