CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Rainbow Reservoir
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Rainbow Reservoir Reply with quote

Does anyone fish Rainbow Res, or has fished it in the past. What kind of fish are in there. I went yesterday and threw my tacklebox in and pulled nothing out.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you fishing from shore?

If so, that's probably you're problem. You need to get away from the launch area to catch fish there. It's basically a river, so you need to move around and find the sweet spots. I also heard a rumor that they drained it really low to make repairs to the dam a few years ago, and the place hasn't recovered so well. I haven't fished there in many years.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that place and have caught plenty of fish off of laydowns and caught my personal best smallie (3.7) there. Last time I was there in October, a kayaker told me they were draining it again to work on the dam. However, I've looked many times on the internet to see if I could find any information on it being drained again and never found anything. If they left it alone, there's plenty of fish there. Bounce shallow cranks off laydowns, pitch worms and plastics into the junk and you'll catch some fish. There are also trout rising all the time if you're looking for trout. Besides that, it's a beautiful place and there aren't a ton of boats (though people do waterski there), especially if you go into the river beyond the reservoir. Check my old posts for reports from last year. I think I had a few.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was introduced to Rainbow Rez last year when I went there with SkeeterRon. Man I love that place, it has become one of my favorite places to go. Like some one mentioned you really need to fish that place from a boat. The nice thing is you can go upriver and float down with the slow current and fish the shorelines and rarely ever touch the trolling motor. Tons of cover, laydowns and brush so spots there are basically limitless. Two thumbs up by me! Very Happy

Jim
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fishing from shore, are there any other places other than the boat ramp to fish that reservoir?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell you, I fish from a boat, and I don't fish there very often, too many other better places to fish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished it from a canoe/kayak and did just fine with the current/wind/expanse, do yourself a favor and save up for a small boat like a kayak or canoe to start you off. Keep an eye out for sales and check out big box stores etc, you won't regret it.. just about the only thing you will regret is not getting a bigger boat.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto regarding the bigger boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbow is just the best place for smallies, and it aint a bad place for trout and salmon. I seen a guy pull out a 5 lb salmon out of there. I got a good friend of mine who lives right on it and he caught a 9lb tiger trout. He also pulls out huge smallmouth and largemouth. right around where the old bridge ruins and the camp are good spots
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: