CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: rainbow reservoir Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: rainbow reservoir Reply with quote

Went to rainbow res on 6/4. Caught 2 small yellow perch and a 14" smallmouth bass. Most of the catches were early. Lot of the other fisherman said they caught a handful of crappies. Nice lake with the exception of people speeding by!
atkins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real popular skiing lake
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like it. I saw only one person skiiing but a bunch fishing.
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol worst place to fish during the late morning into afternoon is Highland lake. it got so bad there. people are bringing huge boats and everybody is water skiing
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it any different from Weekend vs. Weekday at Highland Lake? I have never been there but I have heard some good things about it.
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that its summer its not gonna be different but when fall starts itll be a big difference. the lake is amazing for fishing they are a bass management lake and trophy trout lake
atkins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coventry is another awful summer lake, boat wise not fishing, ive seen some monster boats on there, though its my favorite ice fishing lake, then you have to deal with the snowmobiles and dirtbikes
watthe555

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best lake that is quiet and has fish would be Winchester lake right next to highland lake. it has only 1 house on it which is like a 7 million dollar house and trees are sticking out of the water in some places so you have to be careful. it is small and the only northern pike lake in the ct fishing guide 2011. they stocked the pike in there in 2007.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watthe555 wrote:
best lake that is quiet and has fish would be Winchester lake right next to highland lake. it has only 1 house on it which is like a 7 million dollar house and trees are sticking out of the water in some places so you have to be careful. it is small and the only northern pike lake in the ct fishing guide 2011. they stocked the pike in there in 2007.

Hi!

Yes ! Wichester lake is nice and quiet.

Plus no boats are going to run that particular lake other than at "very sloooow speed" because of all the stumps.

Another plus is that the Pike have thinned out the dink LMB, Perch, and Bluegills so the remaining ones are getting bigger !

Not like other waters here in Ct., where the dink bass, perch, and gills have overpopulated them and also reduced the feed available.
This results in waters with stunted fish populations.
The fact is (per fishery biologists) that space (area + depths) and sufficiant feed is what helps fish to get bigger !

SeaDog1
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few other Northern Pike Lakes that are in the Anglers Guide and even a few that aren't, here in CT Wink . All lakes that have an established population of pike will be a big bass producing lake with few dinks as SeaDog said. It's called a balanced food chain. No bass management required. Learn to love the pike, bass guy's - not loathe them! Very Happy Just make sure you use steel leaders. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
There are quite a few other Northern Pike Lakes that are in the Anglers Guide and even a few that aren't, here in CT Wink . All lakes that have an established population of pike will be a big bass producing lake with few dinks as SeaDog said. It's called a balanced food chain. No bass management required. Learn to love the pike, bass guy's - not loathe them! Very Happy Just make sure you use steel leaders. Rolling Eyes

Hi Flipper!

Let's also add that it would "NOT" be cool or productive to introduce Pike into waters where they would be detrimental to established fisheries.

DON'T DO IT Exclamation Leave it to the fisheries biologist to make that decision !

PS: FYI FACTS -> In Maine -> They KILL every Pike they catch because they don't want them there to be detrimental to their cold water fisheries (Trout & Salmon) which Maine is famous for.

In other states (Mass. and the Mid-West -> where they spear them) they keep the Pike they catch because they are sweet white meat and very very good to eat !

Why here in Ct. fishermen don't keep them is still a mystery -> Oh, fact is that once the Pike get over 30 inches, they're close to the end of their life spam !

Not to worry guys -> They do spawn successfully here in Ct. Exclamation

SeaDog1
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would drive me nuts about Winchester is the 8mph speed limit. I dont think I would be able to put up with it lol. I went to Mashapaug and I felt like it took hours to get where I needed to go.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
The only thing that would drive me nuts about Winchester is the 8mph speed limit. I dont think I would be able to put up with it lol. I went to Mashapaug and I felt like it took hours to get where I needed to go.

Hi !

Have you ever fished Winchester Question

I guarantee you that no one will "NEVER - EVER" do 8 mph there.
There are so many stumps, over 2/3 of that lake, that you'd tear the lower unit off any outboard.

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay well then I guess it makes sense then. Maybe I will check it out!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 - Winchester lake is only 248 acres, so speed isn't required to get around. Whole trees lurk underneath the surface, so watch out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: