CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Rapala Jointed Minnow J-13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Rapala Jointed Minnow J-13 Reply with quote

So I had a question for anyone who uses this. I recently picked up one in the Brook Trout color. I'm a bit confused on this. I think its a floating lure, but not totally sure. When I checked the bottom of the package, I thought it said diving depth...but I threw away the package.

When I used the lure last week, it really sucked. I thought the jointed action would be a lot better but it wasn't a fluent swim. In other words, didn't look REAL. Any tips or reviews on this? I've always liked Rapalas and all the other lures I have of theirs have worked well for me...with the exception of this one. I am not using a heavy setup, its a medium/light setup on 20lb fluro.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rapala174-Jointed8482-Minnow/702265.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DRapala%2BJointed%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Rapala+Jointed&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never fished the J13 but my J11 runs about 1 ft to 2 ft below the surface depending on rod angle and speed of retrieve. It is one super buoyant lure, when you get snagged let line out and it will float right back to the surface. I do like my J 11 it has a very slow serpentine wobble to it. I throw it on a 6 ft med/fast with 8 lb mono and a larger arbor spinning reel. My buddy hooked up a decent brown the other day on a gold J 11 in gold and I had luck on a J 9 Silver several days earlier. I feel like whatever is going to strike my J 11 that it is a larger fish.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size 13 is a deep diver compared to the shallower 11, 9, 7, and 5.

As stated by Duramax, the Rapala Jointed comes back up to the surface fast and easily making it a lure that floats on the surface but still dives.

Jointed lures of all types send out a distressed sound to other fish and the swimming action makes it look like it's a baitfish shaking like when you are reeling one in on a hook.

I have had lots of luck in freshwater with the size 7 and 9 and have used the size 11 for saltwater.

Any info needed on Rapalas, I'm the man to ask. Rapala Man at your service Wink
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am gonna tie it on again this week. Maybe it was my knot or something that was messing up the action. I'll report back my experience again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rapala Jointed Minnow J-13 Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
So I had a question for anyone who uses this. I recently picked up one in the Brook Trout color. I'm a bit confused on this. I think its a floating lure, but not totally sure. When I checked the bottom of the package, I thought it said diving depth...but I threw away the package.

The Running Depth is four to 14 feet deep:

http://www.rapala.com/Jointed/Jointed,default,pd.html?start=26&cgid=rapala-lures

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive noticed with the one i have that if you reel the lure in too fast that it will spin in circles. So you have to use this lure nice and slow to make it have a great presentation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Ive noticed with the one i have that if you reel the lure in too fast that it will spin in circles. So you have to use this lure nice and slow to make it have a great presentation.

I definitely had that problem....I'll slow down the retrieve for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapala's are designed to be tied on a loop. You can use a snap, or put on a ring and tie to that. I use the owner snap locks, and the larger size loop will give you better movement. If your using a leader then that can kill the action, and different lines braid/floro/mono will all change the depth and action of the lure. Steel leaders are sometimes mandatory in pike an pickerel waters but they dont help at all.
SAP284

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry john wrote:
Rapala's are designed to be tied on a loop. You can use a snap, or put on a ring and tie to that. I use the owner snap locks, and the larger size loop will give you better movement. If your using a leader then that can kill the action, and different lines braid/floro/mono will all change the depth and action of the lure. Steel leaders are sometimes mandatory in pike an pickerel waters but they dont help at all.

Yeah I go for pike all the time and never use steel leaders. Heavy duty fluro is perfectly fine and has worked great. I doubt it's the line that's screwing up the action because its not anything I don't use on my other Rapalas. I do however think NortheastFisherman is right though, need to give it a much slower retrieve. Lately for knots, I've been using double palomers on lighter lures and double Trilene knots on heavier lures.

I'll test it out tomorrow morning on the River if the rain stays away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: