CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Really need a bass, please help! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach0208

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Really need a bass, please help! Reply with quote

I am new to fishing, but I've read some books and watch some videos. I never have a teacher to learn from so I have to figure out everything myself. I have caught some trout, pickerel and perch, but never a bass, even though I was targeting bass recently, really frustration. I have used rapala lures, spinnerbait, frogs, and Slug-gos, but none gave me a bass.

I have a kayak, and I often go to Bolton Lake and Mansfield Hollow, anyone have some advice? Cool
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansfield Hollow in my opinion is a good place for bass if you go there often. It also can be a heavy yellow perch spot too. I'm surprised you haven't run into any bass with that setup. What depths are you fishing? Just keep being persistent, eventually you will hit them. Depending on the time of day, depth, and temp the bass locations might vary. If you are using frogs over pads when it's hot, that's a good way to hit a few (also very fun!). I don't think Mansfield has pads though. Try some shallow shad raps or anything that dives 3-5 feet in a shady shallow area during the day. Spinnerbaits work well too but I have spinnerbait fear syndrome Rolling Eyes . Good luck. I've been stuck on crankbaits since the spring since they've been producing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure you'll catch a bass. Enjoy being out on the water in this nice weather!!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish a frog over pads or shallow weeds at twilight. Start at 7:00 pm.

Use Moss Green 50 pound test Power Pro braided line. Get some Number 3 or 4 Gamakatsu EWG (i.e., Extra Wide Gap) Offset Shank Worm Hooks and Bullfrog patterned Zoom Horny Toad soft plastic frogs. When you rig the frogs, put the hook all the way through the frog and then bury the tip of the hook into the back of the frog to make it weedless.

Throw the frog all the way over the cover, even onto the shore, and keep your rod tip up. Reel in the frog using a steady retrieve. Unlike hollow, hard plastic frogs, soft plastic frogs work better without pauses. You should try different retrieval speeds, although I prefer really slow. Whatever the speed, the legs of the frog should kick and splash as you drag it over the cover. It does not matter to the fish if the frog is swimming upside down! Rolling Eyes When a largemouth bass hits the frog, wait a second, lower the tip of your rod as you reel in any slack and set the hook with an upward motion of the rod tip. Set it like you really mean it! Keep steady pressure on the line as you reel in the fish. If the cover is particularly heavy, hold the rod tip up to keep tension on the line as you awkwardly paddle over to the fish. Lip the seven pounder, take a photo and post it here. Very Happy

If you get bit by a northern pike, instead of a largemouth bass, the frog will be gone when you try to set the hook. Wink Tie on a buzzbait, instead. Laughing

Last edited by PECo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Zach0208

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Mansfield Hollow in my opinion is a good place for bass if you go there often. It also can be a heavy yellow perch spot too. I'm surprised you haven't run into any bass with that setup. What depths are you fishing? Just keep being persistent, eventually you will hit them. Depending on the time of day, depth, and temp the bass locations might vary. If you are using frogs over pads when it's hot, that's a good way to hit a few (also very fun!). I don't think Mansfield has pads though. Try some shallow shad raps or anything that dives 3-5 feet in a shady shallow area during the day. Spinnerbaits work well too but I have spinnerbait fear syndrome Rolling Eyes . Good luck. I've been stuck on crankbaits since the spring since they've been producing.

wow, your response is really quick, thanks!

I am thinking maybe I need patience and stick one kind of lure until I figure it out, instead of try different things from time to time. I dont feel good about frogs, because the last time I use a frog, it got involved with some branches. It takes half an hour to get it back. I also have spinnerbait fear, and I feel it is not good to use when there are weeds.

I'll begin to try SSR, and maybe some slug-gos (some say they are really good).
Zach0208

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Fish a frog over pads or shallow weeds at twilight. Start at 7:00 pm.

Use Moss Green 50 pound test Power Pro braided line. Get some Number 3 or 4 Gamakatsu EWG (i.e., Extra Wide Gap) Offset Shank Worm Hooks and Bullfrog patterned Zoom Horny Toad soft plastic frogs. When you rig the frogs, put the hook all the way through the frog and then bury the tip of the hook into the back of the frog to make it weedless.

Throw the frog all the way over the cover, even onto the shore, and keep your rod tip up. Reel in the frog using a steady retrieve. Unlike hollow, hard plastic frogs, soft plastic frogs work better without pauses. You should try different retrieval speeds, although I prefer really slow. Whatever the speed, the legs of the frog should kick and splash as you drag it over the cover. It does not matter to the fish if the frog is swimming upside down! Rolling Eyes When a largemouth bass hits the frog, wait a second, lower the tip of your rod as you reel in any slack and set the hook with an upward motion of the rod tip. Set it like you really mean it! Keep steady pressure on the line as you reel in the fish. If the cover is particularly heavy, hold the rod tip up to keep tension on the line as you awkwardly paddle over to the fish. Lip the seven pounder, take a photo and post it here. Very Happy

If you get bit by a northern pike, instead of a largemouth bass, the frog will be gone when you try to set the hook. Wink Tie on a buzzbait, instead. Laughing

May I ask why using a braided line instead of mono? those pound test number really scared at the beginning (50?)...That frog is a interesting thing, I'll keep that in mind.

Even a 12 inch Bass is a trophy for me right now, lol
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono is like a rubber band. I HATE it. Braid doesn't stretch and is your best friend when fishing heavy cover or when a strong hookset is required. You can get away with lighter test line if you have a really soft rod, but most of us use more utilitarian and all-purpose Medium Heavy (MH) rods for bass fishing.

My favorite setup right now is a 7'2" Shimano Clarus MH (aka Worm & Jig) Spinning Rod (CSS72MHB) paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000FD Spinning Reel and spooled with Moss Green 50 pound test Power Pro Braided Line. Power Pro is owned by Shimano, so it's an all-Shimano setup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickness ratio is way better too. 50lb braid is equivalent to 12lb mono. Like Phil said, mono has a lot of stretch to it. If you have on braid and you get a bass that gets into the weeds, you could rip it right out Very Happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Dicks and buy a SSR Perch, then go direct to Bolton lake this afternoon. Wow this thing is a killer. I trolled it and tried to paddle to the other side of the lake. Before I got there, I caught a 15 in pickerel and two bass (the first bass of my life!!!) The bass is small though, about 11 inch.

Thanks for all your response, now I have got my confidence and just need some more experience!

I still got nothing on Slug-go though, just once I saw a perch chasing it. Hope it is a good sign. Anyone has luck with slug-gos?[/img]
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first bass!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach0208 wrote:
Anyone has luck with slug-gos?

Sure have. Caught plenty on them, along with many of the other plastic fish type baits. Also try some rubber worms. One of the best "slow bite" baits you can get.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink

Last edited by jjbassfishn on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are off to a good start for sure. Take your time, there's always time to be patient. Try wacky rigging your sloggos, that seems to be the latest thing. Keep throwing your spinnerbait to, the best results you'll get is keeping it just above the weeds as you reel it in. The fish will tell you if you've got it right. I throw spinnerbaits everywhere I go, my favorite lure.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love spinners, but i have wacky fear. Never thrown one in my life. I know thats crazy with all the success everyones having, but the freakin hook is just out there for everything to grab. I also use braid in the pads Zach. 50lb. Its tricky at first....wind knots and spooling problems, but my frog rig has been a killer for a couple of years now. Soft rubber frogs with 4/0 wide gap screw lock hooks on braid. Rip 4lb bass right threw the garden. Take it slow. Learn a little bit each trip out, and a little bit here with each question. Sounds like your doing great. Keep up the reports and questions. We've got ya covered dude!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are primarily trolling, stop. Find the fish. Learn where the bass are likely to be and you can find them at any lake.

Look for any type of structure or cover close to shore. Weeds, Pads, Overhanging or downed trees, rock formations... Fish those.

I would concentrate on learning the ins and outs of soft plastics. Texas rigs and Carolina rigs will catch bass at any lake any time of year. There are TONS of options and it is a great place to start when learning bass fishing. I would work on these techniques:

Texas Rig- weighted, pegged and weightless.
Carolina Rig
Shakey Head

Get some Zoom trick worms, Curty Tail Powerworms, baby brush hogs and Zoom Super Flukes.

Just bring plastics and work them different ways. Remember ALWAYS be fishing something.

Mike

PS

If you are catching a lot of perch I think youre too deep or in too "open" a water. Cast towards the shore. Even try to land a texas rigged worm ON the shore and crawl it back in. Try weightless texas rigged worms twitched along a weedline or next to a downed tree.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Nice tips mike!

To add, Check out my thread where my son nailed a monster. A 6 inch rubber worm put in just the right place yeilds big rewards! I have hauled in many a lunker with good ol plastic! Wink

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: