CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: recomend a lake for me this Sunday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: recomend a lake for me this Sunday Reply with quote

I want to go try a place i have never fished. Here the places I have aready fished:

Hayward, pickerel, Bolton, Beseck, Silver, Wethersfield cove, bashan, dooley, Gardner, Mansfield hollow, Moodus, Mashapaug, Uncass, Pachaug, coventry, wethersfield reservoir.

Any recommendations? I live right outside Hartford and would like to keep the ride under an hour but will travel further if you think it is worth it.

Justin
regl
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading on here, Bantam seems to be treating people well. You could also travel up to the NW corner for twin lakes, lakeville lake or fish some smaller ponds like mudge pond or long pond.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does bantam have a lot of houses and power boats? I would like to fish a place with very little traffic and not a lot of homes. I want to fish for smb and lmb.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantam is a great bass fishery.....both smallmouth and largemouth. Has everything there, docks, lily pads, grassbeds, rocks and clear water. Can probably catch them in just about anyway you know how, the only problem is the lake is a hotbed for pleasure crafts and jetskiers. Sad The only time you're really gonna get still calm waters is very early in the morning or later at night, in between forget it! Oh and get there early because the parking lot sucks, not a lot of spaces for a lake that size and a DEP guy will stand at the parking lot/boat launch entrance and turn people away if the lot is full. An hour drive for me but well worth it.
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love bantam but skeeterjim is right the parking sucks but its worth gettin up early and making the ride(an hour and 20 mins for me).
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is another option to bantam as I am not sure what time my partner is going to be able to go. If he is able to go early I will definitely hit it up. I haven't fished mashpaug for a long time - anyone have good luck there this year? SMB won't make or break my decision but I do like catching those fiesty basstids, any recommendations for LMB lakes with limited boat traffic?

thanks all for you responses. This site rules.

Justin
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bas Addict,

See my post on Mashapuag, I was there is past Tuesday in the morning.

What fun that was..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote

I would go to mudge for a largie lake with zero powerboats and its a great fishery. You can also try some froggin.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Quonipaug off Rt 77 in North Guilford!
Some love it,..some hate it (I'm in the love it category!! Very Happy )

6HP limit on motors so it's trolling motors only, for most people and certainly no need to worry about pleasure craft (except kayaks! Laughing ). The boatlaunch is a piece of crap but if you have 4-wheel drive you'll be fine.

Tip: Do not spend much time from the boat-launch out to the big rock. It is all one large, shallow flat that never produces much except an occasional small fish! The deep water and the decent fishing begins at that big rock! Wink
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I ended up going to Cedar Lake on Saturday with a different fishing buddy and his 8 year old son. the guy I was supposed to go with Sunday had a family obligation to go to.

We got on the water at 4PM and the wind was blowing hard. The whole lake was white caps. My friend landed a 2lber lmb at around 5:30. Around 6PM, I hit a 2lber lmb on a spinner bait. The wind stated slowing down around 6. I ended up catching a small pickerel around 6:30.

At this point the 8 year old was skunked. I through my spinnerbait at a patch of lilies and watched a 3lb pickerel nail my bait, I set the hook and handed the rod to the 8 year old. It was a huge pickerel and gave him quite a fight. We got into the boat and he checked it out - he was psyched. Then we called it quits.

I definitely will check out mudge and quonipaug. Thanks again guys.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: