CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: rigging tip-up for trout Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icefishinsupreme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: rigging tip-up for trout Reply with quote

This winter I am going to ice fish a lot more, so I need to know how to rig a tip-up. Also, does anyone fish mt. tom in Litchfield I think it is? What are the good baits/lures to use there?
Thanks,
Dylan
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best line for tip ups would be braid because of the cooler water temps and the edge of the hole.

Hooks for trout would be a size 10. Bait is small to medium sized minnows.

One thing important when setting up a tip up is knowing how deep the water is around the area you're drilling. If you don't have a depth finder to insert into the water after drilling a hole, take a heavy sinker attached to the line on a tip up. Have your arms stretched far while holding line starting with the sinker in one hand and the line in the other. Let the sinker drop in the water and then start counting how many times you stretch your hands and arms out as you let more line out. Once you feel the sinker hit the bottom, multiply how many times you did an entire arm span by the total length of your arm span. That will tell you how deep the water is.

If the last arm span wasn't a full one, get an estimate of how long the span was and add that to the other full spans.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like someone already made a topic like this? But what i do is use 4lb test leader about 5-10 feet long depending on water clarity. The longer fishing line the better so the trout cant see the tip up line. Then i usually use worms or minnows just alittle bit under the ice (0-4feet). The hook doesnt really matter but i use a size 6 i believe but the smalled the hook the better (not too small though or the trout will bend the hook or even break it!). Yes, i have fished mount tom and when i was using worms it wasnt very affective but i watched people with minnows catch fish one after another. I enjoy mount tom but its a pretty far drive for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something NEF brought up reminded me that I've gotten trout on minnows and jigging anywhere from 2/3 of the way down to about 4 below the surface.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres sometimes a pattern of where the trout are in lakes. Im thinking that when you went fishing michael the fish you were catching were either older or younger than the ones right below the ice. I think its usually the younger ones at the top of the ice because i think theyre trying to find a hunting spot unlike the older ones that already know where to find their lunch Smile. When i go ice fishing i usually experiment with different depths. Since its usually me and my dad fishing we have 6 tip ups each, 12 all together. So in 20fow i put 4 tip ups 1-5fow then 4 tip ups 6-12fow then 4 tipups 12-20 fow. If you catch a few closer to the bottom take some of the 1-5fow tip ups and put them down their. I also just saw your last question about the best lures/bait to use. My top three baits i use ice fishing are minnows, nightcrawlers, and mousies (or wax/mealworms). Top three lures i like to use are the lindy rattl'N flyer spoon(tipped with a worm, waxie, or mousie), Gulp fish fry on a forage minnow, and a homemade fly tipped with a waxie or mousie. The flies i use ice fishing a typically a nymph. Sometimes i put two or three of the same fly on my line so it looks like a group of aquatic bugs. If you have anymore questions ill be glad to answer!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PB 5.1 pound brown was caught jigging about 3 cranks off the bottom by the islands at Candlewood in February 2009.

Jigging at Black Rock Pond Trout Park in about 6 FOW has produced lots of average trout ranging from 9" to 14".
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
My PB 5.1 pound brown was caught jigging about 3 cranks off the bottom by the islands at Candlewood in February 2009.

Jigging at Black Rock Pond Trout Park in about 6 FOW has produced lots of average trout ranging from 9" to 14".
Oh yeah dont forget supreme, i believe the rule is 3 lures per rod. Doubt youll be caught but still play by the rules Smile. Michael, when you say 6FOW does that mean it was 6 feet deep or you jigged at six feet in deeper water? Thatd be pretty crazy if they were cruising around in 6FOW!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

At West Hill Pond ...... I and others have set tip-ups or jigged for trout with less then 3 ft. of water under the ice just off the boat ramp, and caught many trout.

Trout are roamers looking for food -> and can be just inches under the ice or deep.

You never know where or at what depth you'll catch them.

SeaDog1
Amotha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
The best line for tip ups would be braid because of the cooler water temps and the edge of the hole.

One thing important when setting up a tip up is knowing how deep the water is around the area you're drilling. If you don't have a depth finder to insert into the water after drilling a hole, take a heavy sinker attached to the line on a tip up. Have your arms stretched far while holding line starting with the sinker in one hand and the line in the other. Let the sinker drop in the water and then start counting how many times you stretch your hands and arms out as you let more line out. Once you feel the sinker hit the bottom, multiply how many times you did an entire arm span by the total length of your arm span. That will tell you how deep the water is.

If the last arm span wasn't a full one, get an estimate of how long the span was and add that to the other full spans.
micheal use a button!!!
Amotha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi.

At West Hill Pond ...... I and others have set tip-ups or jigged for trout with less then 3 ft. of water under the ice just off the boat ramp, and caught many trout.

Trout are roamers looking for food -> and can be just inches under the ice or deep.

You never know where or at what depth you'll catch them.

SeaDog1
sea dog is right on....rainbows will always be cruzing that shallow water...most tipups i set for trout are 2 or less feet under the ice, if u have your bait below the trout you wont catch any but if its aways above them u have a chance...4 pound flouro
icefishinsupreme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a buddy of mine local guy who posts once in a great while goes to MT Tom I am sure if he see's this thread he can help you out for catching trout at mt tom.

I know this isnt helpful =P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a weight if you are using a tipup with minnows? Even when you are not fishing off of the bottom?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:
Michael wrote:

Oh yeah dont forget supreme, i believe the rule is 3 lures per rod. Doubt youll be caught but still play by the rules Smile. Michael, when you say 6FOW does that mean it was 6 feet deep or you jigged at six feet in deeper water? Thatd be pretty crazy if they were cruising around in 6FOW!!

The water depth was 6 feet deep
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amotha wrote:
Michael wrote:

micheal use a button!!!

If you mean use a button on the line while you have the tip up set I do that. That tells me how far the fish has gone with the bait and how many feet down from the surface I have it set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: