CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: River Water Levels / Flow Charts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: River Water Levels / Flow Charts Reply with quote

I thought this was a pinned link at one time very useful to check River water levels:

RIVER WATER LEVELS

Last edited by chuckc on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks chuckc. I forgot about the USGS site. It actually includes data for more Connecticut rivers than the Connecticut River.

I took a look at the historical gauge heights for the Connecticut River in Hartford and it's hard to say what water level is "normal" for Keeney Cove. It fluctuates wildly and erratically, from less than 1 foot in September 2010 to 25 feet at the end of August 2011.

I also looked at some recent and relatively "steady state" periods. During the summer of 2010 (i.e., from July 1 to October 1), the gauge height fluctuated around 2 feet. During the summer of 2011 (i.e., from July 1 to August 27), the gauge height fluctuated around 2-1/2 feet. So far this year in 2012, the gauge height has fluctuated around 3-1/2 feet, wth a couple of spikes up to 8 or 9 feet.

Based on my short experience with Keeney Cove over the last two years, to me, "normal" for Keeney Cove is probably a gauge height of 2-1/2 feet, which I think translates to about 2 feet below the top of the culvert that flows under Point Road.
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just edited the page to go to the CT Map home page so you can check any river that the USGS is monitoring.

To check the levels just click on the dots shown on the map.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: