CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Roaring Brook Glastonbury
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratch59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Roaring Brook Glastonbury Reply with quote

Reading through the Angler's guide I am a bit confused as to whether this area is open year round from 94 to the CT river... if so, can you keep year round?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nope! Closed till Opening Day!

Oh! And if there's any water..... Question
Scratch59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says it is a wild trout management area... and the confluence with the cut river isn't considered tidal waters?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure.
When in doubt -> Call DEEP !

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All streams in Connecticut have a closed season EXCEPT:

Quote:
There shall be no closed season for fishing in the following streams, or portions thereof, as specified:
(A) Coginchaug River, Middletown – downstream from Route 3 bridge to its junction with the Mattabassett River (Sebethe River).
(B) Connecticut River and its coves.
(C) Farmington River – downstream from the outlet of the Rainbow Dam Tailrace Canal to its confluence with the Connecticut River (all fishing is prohibited in the Rainbow Dam Tailrace Canal and in the Farmington River from the Tailrace Canal upstream to Rainbow Dam).
(D) Housatonic River – downstream from the dam on Lake Housatonic (the Derby Dam).
(E) Mattabasset River (Sebethe River), Middletown – downstream from the Route 372 bridge to its junction with the Connecticut River.
(F) Mystic River, Groton and Stonington – downstream from the confluence of Whitfords Brook and Haleys Brook.
(G) Naugatuck River – downstream from the Kinneytown Dam (Seymour) to its confluence with the Housatonic River.
(H) Niantic River, East Lyme and Waterford
(I) Quinnipiac River – downstream from the highway bridge on Route 5 in North Haven to its junction with New Haven Harbor.
(J) Salmon River, Haddam and East Haddam – downstream from the bridge on Route 151 to its junction with the Connecticut River.
(K) Thames River and its coves – downstream from Greenville Dam.

Sorry, but them's the rules. . . . Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I ask... Not a big deal, just had a friend mention the "management area" terminology and thought I would double check here... thought they were open year round
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot about the regulations pertaining to special management areas. The regulations aren't written very clearly, but I think there is a closed season for class three wild trout management areas like the section of Roaring Brook that you mentioned (aka the Eric C. Schluntz Wild Trout Management Area). The regulation pertaining to class one wild trout management areas specifically states, "There shall be no closed season for trout or charr in class one Wild Trout Management Areas." There's no such exception to a closed season in the regulation for class three wild trout management areas:

Quote:
26-112-46. Special management areas

(g) Wild Trout Management Areas.

(3) In class three wild trout management areas the minimum length for trout and charr shall be nine inches. Possession of trout or charr less than nine inches on the waters or shores of these wild trout management areas is prohibited. The following are class three wild trout management areas:

(M) Eric C. Schluntz Wild Trout Management Area, which shall be the portion of Roaring Brook in Glastonbury from Route 94 downstream to the confluence with the Connecticut River.

This regulation appears to merely set a special minimum length for trout and charr in class three wild trout management areas. Again, sorry. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clears things up considerably
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of hockanum has no closed season either....near where I live, laurel marsh area. They did stock Valley Falls TM Park in Vernon...that place will be packed on opening day....I'll wait til the middle of the week.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's no closed season for the section of the Hockanum River that's a TMA, but it's strictly catch and release for trout and charr:
Quote:
(12) The Hockanum River Trout Management Area shall be the portion of the Hockanum River from I-84 in Vernon downstream to where the river crosses under I-84 at the Manchester/East Hartford town line as indicated by signs posted by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. There shall be no closed season for trout and charr in the Hockanum River Trout Management Area. The daily creel limit for trout and charr is zero and all trout and charr caught shall be immediately returned, without avoidable injury, to the waters from which taken. Possession of trout or charr in the waters or on the shores of the Hockanum River Trout Management Area is prohibited.

And my understanding is that the phrase, "shall be immediately returned, without avoidable injury, to the waters from which taken," means, "without taking the time to measure or photograph the fish." I wish that I could remember where I read that, though; it might have been an out of state clarification. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should also be no closed season for the tidal sections of the Pequonnock River
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should send an email to the DEEP if you think that the closed season on the Pequonnock River should be reconsidered, Michael.

The section of the Pequonnock River in Trumbull, from the Whitney Avenue Bridge Crossing downstream to the Daniels Farm Road Bridge Crossing, is already designated as a Trophy Trout Stream with a daily creel limit of two trout or charr in any combination. However, it still has a closed season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: