CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Rod and Reel Combo Question Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Rod and Reel Combo Question Reply with quote

Please don't laugh, but I posted under my newbie section that I would like to get back out fishing on an extremely limited budget. I found a few options on Dick's Sporting Goods website. I know they prob aren't anywhere near quality gear, but just kind of want something to get out there. I can always upgrade in the future.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these poles and if they would recommend them or not. I would like to do some saltwater as well as freshwater fishing. Thanks.

1. Shakespeare Alpha Bigwater Spinning Combos - $39.99 -
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11613213&clickid=cart

2. Shakespeare Ugly Stik Premium Spinning Combos - $39.99 - http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4022301&clickid=cart

3. Shimano Zuraca Spinning Combo - $14.98 - http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12940841&clickid=cart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly Stick combos are pretty good ones.
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I might have to go check it out at the store this weekend. Thanks Michael.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing more fishing that involves bass, walleye, pickerel, smaller pike, and bottom feeders, I'd recommend the 6' 6" combo. Take a look at the reel to see which lines it holds and how many yards. 8 pound test is more of a medium light while 10 and 12 are your average medium action lines for a 6' 6" combo.
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also on a tight budget (and secretly don't think I need expensive gear anyway) so I bought the $15 Zaraca and have been using it all summer. I have several other poles but I have had absolutely no problems with the rod or reel. I use 8lb mono line and am very happy for the money I paid.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael - That was what I was leaning toward was the 6'6 for the ugly stik combo. I'll have to look to see how much line it would hold at the different tests. Here's what the Shimano Zuraca will hold as well: Line Capacity (yd/lb): 200/6, 140/8, 120/10. Not sure how much line one usually wants. I'd be mostly shore fishing for what you mentioned.

sb - Thanks for the update on the Zuraca. Glad to hear you haven't had any issues with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing shore fishing you'll still be catching plenty of fish depending on where you're going and can still get into some good sizes. Lines I'd recomend for shore fishing are 8 and 10, but make sure they're a strong long casting line.
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went out and bought my rod and reel. Went with the Shimano Zuraca 2500F. Hard to beat $14.98 at Dick's for what feels like a nice pole to start out with. Now it's just time to get the rest of the gear and I'll be out fishing soon! Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a couple of the Rapala lures before the sale ends tomorrow, but we'll see. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know.........don't ever buy the alpha rod and reel combo. I bought an alpha surf casting rod a few years ago for cheap because I don't do much saltwater fishing and its nothing but a piece of crap. The drag is HORRIBLE on it and the guides actually started cracking off.
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks. That was actually one of the salt combos I was looking at since it was only like $40.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the Shimano Zuraca working out for you? I was considering buying one for my dad since he's using a 10 year old $9.99 Walmart-special Shakespeare Spinning Combo thats rusting out. The price is right and only needs it to last the rest of the season (I'm buying him a nice rod and reel for Christmas Wink)
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. It should work out fine for him then. I haven't had the chance to get the Shimano out yet, but it feels like a pretty sturdy pole that should last at least more than half a season. My work schedule sucks, plus I still have to buy the line, lures and bait. I just grabbed the rod/reel combo in the store since they took it off of their website. I didn't want to miss out on the deal of getting it for under $16. I'm hoping that I might be able to get it in the water by the 13th or 14th, but we'll see. It may wait until after my trip back to Wisconsin, which will put me around the 20th or 21st. You probably won't want to wait until then, but I'll have a full report on it when I finally do get some time to get it broken in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan- I bought the Shimano Zuraca for $15 at the beginning of the season and it has held up as well as any pole I have used. All my other poles are in Maine at my buddy's lake house so I have been using it exclusively roughly 5x per week and I have had no problems with anything except OCCASIONAL line tangling. I will swear by the pole for the price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying the last Shimano Zuraca at Dicks today to use as a salt water pole. I'll report back about it.
anointed130

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased a lot of low end combos over the last 7-8 years and just stepped up a notch and bought a abu garcia vengance the end of spring and it really makes a diffence if you are serious about fishing. If your able save a few pennies, really consider getting a nicer setup.speaking from experience, i have caugt a lot bette fish with a better reel with a better drag, and a nicer rod you can feel the fish bette when it hits

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: