CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Rooster tails and spinners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnybass860

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Rooster tails and spinners Reply with quote

Im not a big fan of using rooster tails in Lakes or ponds. I mainly just use them in rivers and streams. How much luck have you guys gotten using rooster tails for smallmouth in lakes?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Mepps Number 5 red roostertail inline spinner for the first time on Lake Champlain a week ago and plan to put a couple into my tackle box. DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) landed a 23 inch northern pike on one when the pike wouldn't commit to biting other lures. Fishface (aka Tim) landed a two pound, 15 ounce smallmouth bass. I got only a yellow perch. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At times you cant beat them for smallies on lakes,, #3 and #4 Blue Fox, in silver and in gold,,
MarkO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second what flippy said and add that Thompson spoons can also be deadly on smallmouth.
bass- master

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a small one they can catch crappie and bluegill.
bigger ones work for white bass too
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large in-line spinners are deadly for pike, as well. They are the best lure I've found for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold winter/fall months where fishings slow and finesse is key most of the time, they're an aboslute gem of a lure for smallmouth as well as hair jigs.
flippy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper,, I think anything big and flashey is great for pike, I bet if you polished a chrome hubcap and put hooks on it,,, they would hit,,, Laughing Ive got spots on the river,, I cant stand the pike, dont get me wrong,,, they are beasts but thats not what I fish for,, and boy are they big,,, If you want,,, sometime we could hook up and I will show you where I find them,,, my best spot for them is not in a cove,,, its on the main river,,, My friends and I call it pike alley
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always lookin for good spots for the logs. I'd love to hook up, but it will have to be after the holiday. I'm going camping/fishing this weekend. About the spinners - I've used spoons and spinnerbaits, but something about the different vibration (I think) of the in line spinners really gets them.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Flipper; big inline spinners catch everything. Today, I got yellow perch, rock bass, chain pickerel and largemouth bass on a Mepps Musky Killer:

I think that they're extraordinarily effective in lakes that are stocked with trout. I can't wait to try one out on West Hill Pond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: