CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Safety Gear? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Safety Gear? Reply with quote

I haven't been out yet this year and this warmer weather pattern is concerning to me. I have a decent amount of gear for ice-fishing but just the basics (jig rod, tip-ups, general tackle, etc.) I usually go with a buddy of mine who has the auger, sled etc. I'm wondering what safety gear an ice-fisherman should never leave home without. Usually, I have something that will make noise such as a whistle and a rope. I'm wondering if there are other things I should always take with me and what else is out there that is nice to have...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slim2043,

Type in Goggle or any search engine "Ice fishing safety gear".

Tons of info for you to look at.

SeaDog1
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Cleats for your boots, so you dont slip on the black ice.
I slipped once and landed on my back hitting my head. I got lucky and if it wasnt for all of the clothes I had on it could have really got hurt,

- Spikes aka picks which usually come connected ti a coil line. Picks when jamming picks into the ice (if you have fallen through) will help keep you from going under / pull you back onto the ice

- PFD / life jacket, I wore one all of last season

- Cell phone, this year mines going in a zip lock bag or two.

- Extra pair of clothes

- Spud bar
If you dont buy one, I would drill holes ever 20 yards or so checking the ice. Last season I brought a ruler with me to measure the ice (and the fish of course.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those cheap galvanized steel six inch diameter bladed scoopers that has a ruler embossed on the handle and a crude chipper blade on the end. It's a really nice multifunctional tool. You hook the scooper under the ice to see how thick it is. I also use the scooper to hack the ice off of old holes; it's a lot easier than using the chipper blade.

The PFD is a good idea, PHS, but mine wouldn't fit over my coat. I'd have to get a new one. Do you use a self-inflating PFD?

Thanks for the post, Tim. I just realized that I forgot to put my rope in my sled.

In the end, I think that the best precaution is to not go fishing alone if you can help it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Had 50' rope in my sled yesterday on Burr Very Happy

Check out the USCG approved inflatable vest or waist PFD's -> I have 2 vests -> Very comfortable and not restrictive.

SeaDog1
slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Looks like I know what to get with my gift card today... And to your point Phil, it's definitely a good idea not to go alone if you have the option but also two idiots with no safety gear is twice as dangerous as one Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use my water boarding PFD which fits over my overalls.
I then put a hooded sweatshirt over that.

I wear underarmor so unless its EXTREMELY COLD or windy I dont always wear a coat =)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wears pantyhose but, thankfully, he always keeps his pants on. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

Yes I did Rolling Eyes
That's when Joe Namath proved to the NFL players that they do keep you warm in cold Wx!

Now I wear Men's long silk underware because it's warm, wicks sweat away, and a lot less bulky then UnderArmour.
Had my silks on at Burr!

Get yourself a set -> You'll like them Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kidding, Stephen. Anyone who has fished with you know that you always take your pants off when you're fishing, just like flippy. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO!

Btw,went to Cabelas today cuz I had gift card. They have jack for ice gear. Got a jig rod an ice pick and a furry hat. Pretty much the extent of what they had. I don't even have any ice jigs to jig w my new rod Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira and I were at Cabela's this morning. I picked up a Frabill Straight Line ice fishing combo. The reel is basically a mini fly fishing reel. And like a baitcaster, it doesn't twist your line. I like it, except that you can't free spool your jig to the bottom. You have to crank it down. The upside to this is that you can always tell how deep your jig is, because the reel spools out six inches of line per revolution.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Just kidding, Stephen. Anyone who has fished with you know that you always take your pants off when you're fishing, just like flippy. Wink

Nah!

Flippy is in a class all by himself! LMAO Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim2043 wrote:
LMFAO!

Btw,went to Cabelas today cuz I had gift card. They have jack for ice gear. Got a jig rod an ice pick and a furry hat. Pretty much the extent of what they had. I don't even have any ice jigs to jig w my new rod Sad

Went to Cabela's today and my buddy asked where all the ice fishing gear was. Apparently because of the slow ice season this year they shipped most of their inventory to Minnesota to make room for spring fishing gear. Shocked
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the same schpeil... Their inventory of spring fishing gear is pretty weak as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: