CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: sallemander,lizard,brush hog rigs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: sallemander,lizard,brush hog rigs Reply with quote

Hey hows it going everybody, been a while but i think were ready for some big bass in our lives! normally when im fishing im using spinnerbaits/top water lures/or wacky senkos. This spring i want to learn how to use brush hogs and lizards/sallemanders. I have no clue how to rig them at all. I just got some zoom lizards and brush hogs, as well as a few bags of yum sallemanders. Any info or tips on how to rig these guys would be greatly appreciated.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tumbelweed
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most guys just Texas-rig brush hogs and salamanders, with or without a bullet weight on the line above the hook. They also work well as trailers on jigs or spinnerbaits. I plan to throw more crawfish-type soft plastics this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texas rigged or caronlina rigged.

Justin
steve12392

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salamanders work well in the spring on bedding bass, work a salamander around a bed and a bass will surely pick it up, salamanders are notorious nest robbers; looking for fish eggs
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I agree! ......And those big Mudpuppies are even worse Exclamation
Watched, last summer, one up at West Hill in the shallows tear into a nest of very tiny Bullhead fingerlings.
Mama or Daddy Bullhead was going nuts trying to keep it away!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't seen a mudpuppy. I have a soft plastic mudpuppy lure, though. And, Vudak, you'll be glad to know that I got it with bowfin in mind, not bedding bass. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Never caught a Bowfin myself but have read and talk to some guys that have.

Suppose to be real hard fighters Exclamation

Maybe 1 day I'll have the opportunity to hook one!

Let us know when you do - Should be a great report!

SeaDog1
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve12392 wrote:
salamanders work well in the spring on bedding bass, work a salamander around a bed and a bass will surely pick it up, salamanders are notorious nest robbers; looking for fish eggs
yea that makes sense, i think imma texas rig them and toss them at some beds, appreciate the advice
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on trying for bowfin at Scoville Reservoir on the Sunday April 17. Feel free to join me.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
steven1smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weightless brush hogs on the outside of the pads, and punch pads with a weighted brush hog, texas rigged ofcourse. This is probably the most productive pattern for me at shallow, weedy ponds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Nickp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira I can point you in the right directions for bowfin at scoville. There a ton of fun on bass gear but they dont quit fighting when they get in the boat Sad seriously tuff to tame.

And scovilles closed till opening day, got in trouble there last year fishing in "off season" around march 20th, thought I was good because the trophy trout lakes arent closed until end of march but apparently the shitty trout lakes close right away lol.

I would also advise waiting until summer, Ive only caught one outside of the dog days of summer there, a dozen or so during the heat.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickp wrote:
Kira I can point you in the right directions for bowfin at scoville. There a ton of fun on bass gear but they dont quit fighting when they get in the boat Sad seriously tuff to tame.

And scovilles closed till opening day, got in trouble there last year fishing in "off season" around march 20th, thought I was good because the trophy trout lakes arent closed until end of march but apparently the shitty trout lakes close right away lol.

I would also advise waiting until summer, Ive only caught one outside of the dog days of summer there, a dozen or so during the heat.

Hi Nick - April 17 is the day after opening day...I'll be trying there sporadically throughout the year, but in the event that they're spawning in April I'd like to see those turquoise fins in person. I've been wanting to catch one ever since I saw them in the tank at Cabela's. Any advice on where they might be spawning? Last summer something big shredded my line (17lb. mono) in the super swampy area to the far right of the launch. And yeah...I know they don't stop thrashing. I bring a net to Scoville now.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

YES! Please make a report if you hook into one Exclamation

It's been written up that Bowfin can fight 100x harder than an LMB Exclamation

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen bowfin being caught online on youtube and every angler i seen catch them gave them a ton of respect and were tired after the fight. Apparnentlly they have been around for like millions of years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: