CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon Cove 10/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Salmon Cove 10/13 Reply with quote

Wow, I read the ctoutfitters reports and I've read many posts on this forum raving about this cove. So we went for the first time yesterday with much excitement and optimism and, well...we caught a perch, a tiny smallie and an ok largemouth. Disappointing, crushing in fact!

But I'm just being dramatic. We had a tough day, the bite just wasn't there. We left the boat launch probably around 6:15-6:30 am and we fished until around 3:00 pm. We made pass after pass along the banks but we didn't get all the way to the end of the cove due to the wind. It was an odd day weather-wise. It started out so nice but seemed to get windier, cloudier and colder as the day went on.

I've said here before that we do not fish plastic or jigs and we didn't yesterday either. We threw spinnerbaits, top water and crank baits exclusively.

We even went out into the river proper up to the CY outflow canal buoys to try for some action. Nothing.

Some things I noted:

We were there during low tide and it was just coming back in as we were finishing up. There are some very shallow spots. Good thing we have a push pole.

There were a bunch of other bass guys also trying the cove. I didn't see any of them killing it either.

Salmon cove is still weedy. Yes it's dying, but it's very weedy. Just like a lake or a pond. That's a turnoff for me.

There is lots of shore structure there which I like, but again, if there were fish there, they weren't into what I was throwing.

I'll be honest, after a successful year so far, my ONLY goal from now until we can't fish anymore is pike. And to that end, the only stuff I was throwing was pike stuff, including a new x-rap 12 in perch that I love. But again, way too weedy for that lure.

So, taking all this into consideration, I can't wait to go back! It's very easy to get in and out of, unlike keeney, it's close to home and though we didn't do well yesterday, lots of other guys have so I look forward to learning the place.

-Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: