CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River 5/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Salmon River 5/28 Reply with quote

Headed out at 4:30 this morning for some trout action. Salmon River

Instead of parking in the lot with the covered bridge I came in from the other end, but fished under the bridge area to the left of the back park entrance ( no idea if this location has a name )

Blue Fox spinners didn't produce at all so I switched to Trout Magnets - NEON colors

Fished for about 20 minutes and noticed that directly under the bridge there were flashes of silver every once in a while....in an unnatural way. It looked like a big trout was fighting something underwater, ......creepy

I moved under the bridge and began to drop the trout magnets dead center. A few minutes of nothing and then my float went under. Didn't feel like a bite, but more like the depth was too great for where the float was set and the bait got snagged on the bottom.....

What it DID get snagged on was a trout...a trout that was stuck underwater, already hooked up onto gear that must have snapped off a previous pole.

I tried to get it in for 15 minutes. Didnt want to wrench it in too hard because I was fishing 2lb test. Just when I began to tire from walking up and down the shore trying to get him in... a buddy showed up, cast a spinner out on stronger line, hooked up, and we both brought it in.

With about 30 ft of line tangled around it and about 2 cups of worms on hooks sucked into its lower gut area - this fish was not able to be saved.

I cleared our lines and put the fish out of its misery.

Didnt catch anything the rest of the 5 hours I was there.

I have no idea why Im not catching many fish at the Salmon River this week, but today felt like I was destined to go there to hook up on this caught fish so I could dispatch him so that he didn't suffer. Still a much better day off than going to work I guess
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool report... How big did that trout measure at? Hope she made a good meal!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry to report that it came in under 9 inches. Being a TMA and the DEEP were up and down that place today I couldnt take her home - hopefully she makes a nice meal for a furry critter this evening

really put a damper on the day - was bummed about it all day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: