CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon RIver January
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Salmon RIver January Reply with quote

After some days dipping down into the 20s (below zero), Saturday and Sunday were relatively balmy. Took the opportunity to get in some fishing with my brother Doug and Scott Glazier. The short version is Saturday afternoon produced a lot of quality fish, and I snuck in some Sunday morning as well!

Doug and I Sunday morning

My waders can stand on their own!

Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakin awesome is all I can say! I really need to get into fly fishing cause that is right up my alley! I dont care about how cold it is, just love to fish but dont care to sit on a block of ice and just love to target big fish! How well does a fly rod cooperate in those conditions? I know my spinning rods dont like it as the guides freeze up pretty bad.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good trip despite the cold conditions. I actually fished mostly spinning this time as it was so cold any water from stripping line will pretty much freeze my fingers right away. Even in sub-zero, I forgo the gloves. Different parts of the river lend themselves better to fly or spin as well. Despite what some fly only guys will say, I don't think landing fish is harder on one or the other. The fly technique with the split shot is pretty easy to get down as well. I've got a ton of video, and I'm going to post some clips of this. I just can't get excited about catching crappie through a hole on a toothpick or waiting for a flag to pop up. This is my go-to winter action, and I usually make the trip 1-2 times a month from late October through April.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size rod and line do you use and what kind of hooks and stuff do you need? Im freakin dying here with the river being locked up solid! This might just have to be my new winter thing also if I can figure out what I need. As far as waders and clothes Im all set but need to know all the other stuff if you have time to clue me in!

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Fishfinder,
Fly or spinning, it's pretty similar. I'm bouncing a single soft plastic egg or fly on a #8 Gamakatsu Octopus hook on a 4-6lb 3ft. flouro or the Maxima brown leader. During salmon season I go with a slightly larger hook and maybe 6-8lb. leader. You've got your leader attached to a small swivel with enough weight above the swivel just to keep the lead ticking along the bottom. I'm usually fishing with an 8wt fly outfit or a 9-10ft. noodle rod with a light spinning reel. My main line is usually 8lbs, but the leader is lighter so you don't need much drag.

If you head up that way, stop at All Season Sports to the right just off the Pulaski exit. Fat Nancy's across the street is RIDICULOUSLY over priced.
http://www.allseasonssports.com/

Your best bet is to get a good local guide the first time or two. The money spent is well worth the shortened learning curve. I fish with Scott Glazier, who does all the On The Water stuff up there. If you decide to go with him, just tell him I sent you.
http://www.tinkertavernlodge.com/

At about 1:20 in I talk a bit about what I'm doing in the casting.

Link

fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. All I heard was music in your link though, no talking at all. Next year Im surely going to set up for this!!!!!! Approximately what is the average cost f9r a weekend guided by Scott?

fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. All I heard was music in your link though, no talking at all. Next year Im surely going to set up for this!!!!!! Approximately what is the average cost f9r a weekend guided by Scott?

Randy Jones

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Red,
Congrats on your fine trip!
-
Thanks for sharing, as it all helps out the local economy up here.
-
I did a trip recently w/ Scott and we all had fun and got to play with some nice steelhead.
Best Fish's,
Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: