CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River NY Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Salmon River NY Reply with quote

Fished the Salmon River from Friday to Sunday with 2 other friends. On Friday and Saturday we bought passes to fish the Douglaston Salmon run. Lets just say that it was worth every penny on Friday. Between all three of us we must have hooked into 60 fish or more. I hooked into a total of 15-20 fish with 3 of them being landed. Only got pics of two of them though.

This was one of my friends holding the second fish I caught.

I'm not sure if any of you know where Joss hole is but we walked by there and the hole was PACKED full of salmon. There were literally thousands, but there were also just as many people so we went a little farther down stream and found another hole with a lot of fish that we had all to ourselves. All day, every 10 minutes or so we had a fresh push of 10-20 fish that moved through.That's where we got these fish.
On Saturday we went back to the DSR and there were SO many more people but the fish weren't really moving all that much. We walked about a half mile down river from where we were the day before looking for a spot. We finally found one that wasn't really great. About a half hour later I hooked into my first fish of the day in the pouring rain which I landed. This ended up being the only fish between the three of us that we landed the whole day although we each hooked into around 7.

On Sunday we fished a different hole farther upriver. There weren't NEARLY as many fish or people but all three of us were so worn down from the two days before that we didn't care much. My friend hooked into one king salmon for about 30 seconds but lost it. We packed up around 11 to head home.
Here is one fish that my friend pulled out of Joss hole on Friday

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice looking fish! Love it up there. Never fished Douglaston. Usually fish above Pulaski up to Altmar. Can't make it up 'till November this year. Be tons of steelhead, but the salmon will be largely done. Still catch them, but the numbers of fish and people will be far fewer. I fish up there for steelhead in winter through the spring run. Your pics and the ones my friend keeps posting on his Facebook page are killing me! Nice report.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday was honestly a day to remember. I've never seen so many fish moving up the river.
DCAJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,
Nice fish.
I gotta make it up there some time
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's something you have to do at least once.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least at Douglaston you don't have all a-holes trying to snag them with salt water rods, 80lb. braid and treble hooks. The idiocy culminates on Columbus Day with the canuck invasion. The people are packed in as tight as the fish.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly why I go up before Columbus day weekend. Although I didn't see anyone trying to snag fish with 80lb braid, I did see two guys standing at the head of the pool I was fishing in. One was holding a net standing next to another guy who was snagging every fish that came through. When he hooked into a fish I could hear him ask his friend with the net if it was a coho or brown trout. When his friend told him that it was a king he would break it off and make another cast to snag another.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool to see my friend Scott on the cover of OTW. Fish with him serveral times a year.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those salmon stocked or native?

Beautiful fish
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are native, some are from a hatchery. The salmon come back up the same river they were born in from Lake Ontario 2-5 years later to spawn. Some make it to the hatchery where the sperm and eggs are taken out of them, some lay them in the river and never make it to the hatchery. They all die after they release their sperm and eggs. Also, as soon as they start making it up the river I hear their stomachs actually close up and they don't eat anymore. So they hit flies out of aggression.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought atlantic salmon didn't die after laying their eggs vs pacific salmon?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time to get the fresh salmon is September. By the time November rolls around what's left are usually skunks, though occasionally there are some late arrivals and males still in good shape. I'll be targeting the steelhead that follow them up the river and then winter over. You guys had some beautiful fresh fish there Bowhunter. I'm envious!
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right Michael. And Redneck, I will be back up there for steelhead around march
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do atlantic salmon have an appetite more like a Candlewood brown or a Farmington rainbow?
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, atlantic salmon are only in the river during the summer. They are VERY rare to catch so I can't really tell you that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: