CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River Trophy Trout Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtrout025

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Salmon River Trophy Trout Area Reply with quote

Well I guess today was my lucky day since I have been fishing like crazy with zero luck. I'm in the process of learning how to fly fish but I broke my fly rod tip today rolling up my window so I decided to take out the ugly stick and some lures. I have to say fly fishing is very difficult and am debating on just sticking with a spinning rod. What kind of trout is this one?

PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are brook trout. The leading edges of a brook trout's lower fins are white.

Personally, I don't feel the nostalgia or romance of fly fishing. If I want to catch trout, I'll just use a spinning setup and tie on an inline spinnerbait or small stickbait, like a floating Rapala. I had some time to kill, yesterday, and quickly boated four brown trout while casting and retrieving a Silver Rapala Shallow Shad Rap SSR-7 tied onto 50 pound test braided line across the current. If I had used a smaller SSR-5 or an inline spinnerbait, I would have easily caught more than my limit. BTW, your fish were waaay prettier than mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and nice fish! Where did you go? I recently purchased a kayak and would love to catch some in a lake but don't know how to get down deeper like at Mt Tom or crystal lake where the trout are 20 to 30 feet deep
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT025,

Need to troll deeper at Mount Tom .... Try this neat little invention !

Poor Man's Downrigger and inexpensive.

www.sinker-dropper.com

Works for me !

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtrout025 wrote:
Thanks for the advice and nice fish! Where did you go? I recently purchased a kayak and would love to catch some in a lake but don't know how to get down deeper like at Mt Tom or crystal lake where the trout are 20 to 30 feet deep

I was on the Farmington River next to River Glen in Farmington.

I'm not a trout fisherman, but I've caught trout deep in East Twin Lake and Middle Congamond Lake using drop shot five inch Senkos and 2-1/2 inch Gulp! Minnows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: