CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: SALTONSTALL BOAT RENTALS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: SALTONSTALL BOAT RENTALS Reply with quote

Lake Saltonstall is a great bass & walleye fishery. It is in East Haven/Branford. Seems like the majority of the members here are NOT from this area. Many are hesitant about driving a long distance to a new lake, especially one with unique boating policies. I wanted to post the info so it could be easily found rather than posting it over and over on different threads.

You need a Regional Water Authority pass to use the property. The RWA owns several lakes and woodland areas in CT. The pass gives you access to all RWA lakes. Not everyone wants or needs a seasonal pass. You can buy a single day pass at the fishing shack at the lake. I am not sure of the cost but it would estimate it at $5 or $10. There is a good chance you wont be asked for your pass. Plan on needing to buy one but wait for them to ask before you mention it.

They will also check your fishing license. They need a hard copy as they use info from it on the boat rental form.

All boats comes with oars, anchor and life jackets. They are put in the water and docked for you. You just put your stuff in and go. Drop it off at the dock at the end of the day.

SALTONSTALL BOAT RENTALS

Weekday (Tues & Friday Only) 6:30AM - 1:00PM

- Boat Only ................................................$10
- Boat, Motor & Battery ............................$25

Weekend (Sat & Sunday) 6:00AM - 6:00PM

-Boat Only...................................................$15
-Boat, Motor & Battery .............................$35

* I believe that you can get just the motor and bring your own battery. It is probably $5 less but I'm not 100% sure.

GUIDED FISHING TRIPS

While Lake Saltonstall can produce some big fish, it can also produce big skunks. I hear people at the end of the day who spent 6-8hrs on the lake without a bite. You really have to know where to find fish or know the lake well.

There is an option for a guided fishing trip on Wednesdays. The guide works there and has been fishing the lake for a long time. Its a half day trip. I have never done it so I cant give too much info but I know that the guide knows his stuff. You can go for bass, walleye or any other species. I would go for bass or walleye.

The good thing about this is that you are the ONLY boat on the lake and wont waste time looking for good spots. This is a great option for someone who has never been/lives far away.

The cost for the guided trip is $45. That includes boat motor and battery. I have always tipped captains and mates when I go on saltwater charters. I would figure on tipping here as well.

I have his phone number if anyone wants to set something up or ask any questions.
rxpxtx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Mike. Saltonstall can be a tough lady to crack sometimes. Especially when walleye fishing. I live in the area and have fished there many times. It's an easy enough bass lake with nice fat fish. Bass go where bass go, but I never knew about the guy on wed's. $45 plus gratuity is a swinging deal for a boat and guide to fish one of the best walleye lakes in the area. There's some big fish down there in the deeps. That doesnt even touch on the fact that it would be a private showing of the lake. I work mon, wed and every other wknd in the ER, and I took a bunch of mondays off to fish this summer. I'm gonna go back and trade some of those for wed's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, If you know where to look for bass, youll find them there. Better bring your heavy gear, the hydrilla are THICK along the edges and there are definitely big bass tucked in there.

Walleye is a different story. The walleye guys know where to look but all I know about them is that they are a deeper water fish then bass. Trolling seems to be popular but you need to know how deep the water is and have to be able to get your bait into the strike zone and keep it there. Guys use planers like dipsy divers to get deep. There are 10lb + walleye in there.

I will PM you the phone number for the guide.
ItsMeZed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info on the boat rentals Smile

I'd appreciate it if you could send me the info about the guide as well. A friend and I were hoping to head to the lake for the first time this week.
knowfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I had thought of making a trip there at some point and your information helps out a great deal.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you need a PWC/Boating license to rent a boat?
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Does anyone know if you need a PWC/Boating license to rent a boat?

Here's what I saw in the rule book.
Sec. 15-140e. Safe boating certificate.

(d)
Any person operating a vessel other than a personal watercraft, as defined in section 15-140j, which is rented for a period of fourteen days or less from a boat livery need not obtain a certificate during the rental period. An owner, agent or employee of a boat livery shall furnish to each rental customer literature on safety and rules of navigation as supplied by the commissioner.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
rickm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: contact info for the saltonstall guide.. Reply with quote

Hi mikey5string,
can you please send me the contact information of the fishing guide?

thanks
rick
DEdgeAFVet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. May have to go check it out!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey, My son and I love Saltonstal. Thanks for the great Post!!!!

It's a great Ct Lake.

See my post from 2 weeks ago with his 5.5 lber!!
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Saltonstall is a great fishery altogether!!!!
You want BIG FISH they are there, got my PB walleye there 2 years ago just under 7lbs.

JC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: