CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Sanford's Pond 4/24 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you even look at the satellite view?
Yes
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Yeah, after I saw this poll question
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
I don't know how to use Google
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've been to Sanford's Pond so I don't need to look at the map
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Sanford's Pond 4/24 Reply with quote

You ready for a good laugh? Pull up the satellite image of Sanford's Pond (Danbury) on Google maps, zoom in and take a look at this unnecessary freaking hike I did on Easter morning. I parked in the lot to the south, crossed the road, walked along the train tracks, then followed the eastern shoreline until I found an open water with enough room to cast. Spent a while there, then decided I wanted to try the north shoreline. Now look at the size of the watershed area on the map and tell me how dumb I was to continue going counterclockwise. I had no idea it went on that far east...couldn't see over the hills and by the time I realized how screwed I was I had already hiked through miles of hilly & swampy tick-infested forest. I looped around to Joe's Hill Rd. and walked up that until I could find a way back down that wasn't deadly steep. Caught 5 bass on jigs, lost another 2 at shore. I did catch 2 bass on the north shore but I also spent 2 hours getting there so it wasn't exactly worth it.

Anyway, it's a cool place if you like ticks and/or bass. And it meets my criteria of looking like the set of a Tim Burton film.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to resize my phone pics. Looks fine on my browser anyway.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*

Last edited by TurtleKiss on Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 am; edited 5 times in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

None of your pictures came thru!

SeaDog1
korrupt3dazn

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sanford's Pond 4/24 Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
You ready for a good laugh? Pull up the satellite image of Sanford's Pond (Danbury) on Google maps, zoom in and take a look at this unnecessary freaking hike I did on Easter morning. I parked in the lot to the south, crossed the road, walked along the train tracks, then followed the eastern shoreline until I found an open water with enough room to cast. Spent a while there, then decided I wanted to try the north shoreline. Now look at the size of the watershed area on the map and tell me how dumb I was to continue going counterclockwise. I had no idea it went on that far east...couldn't see over the hills and by the time I realized how screwed I was I had already hiked through miles of hilly & swampy tick-infested forest. I looped around to Joe's Hill Rd. and walked up that until I could find a way back down that wasn't deadly steep. Caught 5 bass on jigs, lost another 2 at shore. I did catch 2 bass on the north shore but I also spent 2 hours getting there so it wasn't exactly worth it.

Anyway, it's a cool place if you like ticks and/or bass. And it meets my criteria of looking like the set of a Tim Burton film.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to resize my phone pics. Looks fine on my browser anyway.

hehe Razz
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and be on the lookout for a 5+ lber with free stickbait included! The bass nailed it on the surface and fought hard for 2 minutes before the 12 lb. leader snapped.

The photos look fine to me on here but apparently I should have just used my own server to begin with and saved myself the headache. Is it better now?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are still too big, but I can see them if I change the zoom on my Explorer browser to 75 percent. 640 x 480 is the best size for posting photos on bulletin boards.

I thought that you were done with using leaders forever. Now that you lost a big one, is that true?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...next time look at the satelite view before you go hiking Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use a regular jig dragged on the botton or a swimming grub jig? I've never really used a Carolina rig before and was really impressed with how flippy (aka Jim) used it to slowly drag a creature bait over the rocky bottom during the tournament on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Did you use a regular jig dragged on the botton or a swimming grub jig? I've never really used a Carolina rig before and was really impressed with how flippy (aka Jim) used it to slowly drag a creature bait over the rocky bottom during the tournament on Saturday.

It was a 3/8oz swim jig with Paca chunk trailer (tied directly to 50 lb. braid.) I didn't know what kind of substrate I was dealing with...just knew there was a lot of wood and grass near the edges. This wasn't a planned fishing trip so I only had enough stuff to get me through an emergency...4 bags of plastics, 2 swim jigs, a Bitsy Bug, various hooks & weights. Started with the Bitsy Bug but the hook got straightened out on a log (and the braid didn't break) so I switched to a swim jig which hopped over the wood pretty nicely. It was pretty effective so I stuck with it.

TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
lol...next time look at the satelite view before you go hiking Wink

LOL, I did. However, once I zoomed in to the open area & saw the stumps I knew I definitely had to check it out if there was any way to access it. It would have been quicker to just walk across the New York border and loop around Haines Pond twice.

atkins

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youve got 50 lb braid trying using a heavier leader, and make sure it leader material, 12 lb leader is different then 12 lb main line. leader is stiffer. it did look like some nasty stuff you were fishing in.
Fishface

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish Kira, The hike would have been worse if there was a skunk.

Tim
damage inc

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics! Maybe I'll go out there today after work!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
Great pics! Maybe I'll go out there today after work!

Go heavy on the DEET!

metalfish

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice fish..
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I really liked this pond a lot...had the whole place to myself and it was very peaceful. Putting a boat in there would be a real pain in the ass due to the parking situation and the train tracks, so that made me think it didn't get much pressure. I regret not taking more options with me though. I was just passing through to/from NJ so I only had my "in case of a fishing emergency" tackle box with me. I would have liked to try some senkos, crankbaits, and maybe even a spinnerbait instead of jigs and craws all day. Waders would have been awesome...I had to cast while standing on fallen trees most of the morning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: