CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Seaguar Fluorocarbon turns white?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Seaguar Fluorocarbon turns white? Reply with quote

i just started using Seaguar Fluorocarbon on 2 setups in 10 and 8lb. Ive been using the 8lb alot and it seems to be turning white. Is it supposed to?
I thought maybe the line was getting chafed on my brand new rod, or the line roller wasnt working right, then i googled. Seems flouro turning white is comon? WTF expensive line turns white

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used seagur for a short time in the past and never had that. I've been using trilene 100% and spiderwire ultracast fluro now and haven't had it happen yet either.

At the price of fluro though if it's turning white then that's not going to make people happy
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it turns white (not really white,..just not crystal clear anymore..) over time from picking up moisture,....some fluoro's (like Trilene) don't have that problem,...but seaguar always has.
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i will be switching to trilene then.
Does the whiteness go away at all when the line dries out? In my searches it seemed that some thought it was from the sunlight making the line turn milky white. Do you think it effects the lines stealthyness under water? I would hate to toss out almost $40 in line that i just started using.
I had also been pondering if reel magic was causing it, but i guess its just normal with this line

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Berkley Vanish, and have never had that problem with the line turning white.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a fishing show yesterday that said"after a long fight or heavy stress on the line from a snag ect. the flora's chemical compound changes making it visible to fish" Hope that helps
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
I guess i will be switching to trilene then.
Does the whiteness go away at all when the line dries out? In my searches it seemed that some thought it was from the sunlight making the line turn milky white. Do you think it effects the lines stealthyness under water? I would hate to toss out almost $40 in line that i just started using.
I had also been pondering if reel magic was causing it, but i guess its just normal with this line

It's been my favorite line for years & years,...never thought it's been detrimental to the fishing and to prove the point,..I just bought another bulk spool of it! (Although I would be switching to Trilene if it ever gets close in price to what i pay for the Seaguar!) Cool
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the 8 lb setup out with me yesterday while testing out the new kayak and i got very frustrated with the line. Not only am i disapointed with the milky color of the line (confidence thing), it seems to me the line is ruined. I could pull the line with both hands and snap it. I think i might have to bring this rod back to dicks and swap it out, even though its only 2 weeks old.

Now that i think of it, the cabelas 100% flouro i have been using on my casting setup over the last 2 seasons comes dirrect from cabelas in a milky white and not clear line the seaguar as it comes out of the box.

I am very much less concerned at this point with the color as i am about thinking my rod is damaging the line. But im still gonna try another brand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one of your guides is chipped or cracked it could be damaging the line. Try twirling a Q-tip in the guides to test them......if there is any damage, the fuzz from the Q-tip will tend to catch on it!
Good luck with it,..hope you get things straightened out and can get back to just enjoying some fishing!
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exchanged the rod for a st croix rod and it performs so much better. Loaded up with trilene 100% 8lb and feel so much better about things.
I have noticed the trilene is a bit larger in diameter and can tell when using it. It does seem the line needs to break in though. The more i used it the better it started feeling and my casts are getting a little closer to those when i was using the seaguar.
Ill give the trilene a while and decide if i am going to stick with it or go to the seaguar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trilene is .011 and the seaguar is .009
I can def tell the difference. Im going back to seaguar REAL soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: