CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: senko...wacky or texas rig..wich one do you prefer?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerryinct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every fish over 4 lbs has come to me wacky rigged. I have also learned a way to skip it under docks this way with good sucess doing so especially early in the season in shallow water. I use the o-ring deal. To skip it cast sidearm/underhand. Something about a senko being skipped in shallow water will catch fish behind guys who kerr plunk their worms in the shallow.
RyanMalloy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually catch atleast 20-30 a year over 4 Texas.. 3.5 yesterday and a 4.6 smally in a tourney on candlewood a couple weeks ago. I really like the finishing nails touch on the whacky. I'm going to give that a shot today.

I've found myself having luck with both styles equally. An old mentor told me that you can't catch a fish if your bait isn't in the water.. Slow it down and fish the senko weightless. Let it catch the fish for you!
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my top baits right there, and of course wacky rigged. I normally stick to 4" and sometimes throw a 5", use a Gama*** wide gap circle hook in the 2-4 range.

Bait only lasts about 20 cast and 2-3 fish but is killer in all sorts of water, my PB smallie came on a wacky rigged 4" throw into fast moving river behind a bridge pylon.

Do your self a favor and buy that plastic bait mend it, well worth it.

Last edited by DV on Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV wrote:
One of my top baits right there, and of course wacky rigged. I normally stick to 4" and sometimes throw 5", use a Gama*** wide gap circle hook in the 2-4 range.

Bait only lasts about 20 cast and 2-3 fish but is killer in all sorts of water, my PB smallie came on a wacky rigged 4" throw into fast moving river behind a bridge pylon.

Do your self a favar and buy that plastic bait mend it, well worth it.

As for the baits not lasting...
I learned a trick from a fellow CTFT member at a tourney a couple years ago.
Slip a small O-ring along the body of the bait. Then you simply slide the hook between the bait and the O-ring. No more bait tearing, and no more wasted expensive senkos.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or don't buy the Gary Yamamoto brand as they tear very easily. Other name brands or smaller bait companies make the same bait in a plastic that stands up much better. The Cinko made by California tackle (Jim Dandy Baits), and a no name brand off ebay that I use are great. The stiffer baits kill the action a tiny bit, but I haven't noticed a difference in catching less fish.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "new generation" senkos dont work nearly as good as the originals..nor do they tear as easily..hence softer bait..more fish due to more natural action.
manillathrilla

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite bait hands down! I guess it all depends on what the situation is. There is that special hook you can get for the senkos (i forget its name) which makes wacky a dead red fish catcher, that being said i enjoy fishing it texas rig primarily, what i do is take a piece of small straight led and insert it into the head of the senko, then fish it without weights. All in all i'd say this lure is "gods gift to fishing"

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a o ring try getting heat shrink wrap and cut it very thin like 1/8 to 1/4 inch size, slide it on and heat it up then put hook threw it, senko will last a long time
pdcrack

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you used to work in the drug cartel business Flippy? Sounds like you are prepping a brick of heroin.
flippy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Pdcrack, I dont get near that kind of stuff, another thing you senko chuckers should try is, a split ring, it acts as a hook holder and a weight, ssshhhh thats a secret. Oh try this, heat up the tip of the tail with a lighter and pinch it, it gives a minor flat tail affect, it has crazy falling action, oh try this to, weight the tail and watch it fall, I have a couple secrets I learned off a guy sponsered by toyota that I fished with in the Weekend Series,He was a senko guru, Also try throwing the senko with a weighted hook, (ballhead) 1/8oz wacky rigged, sssshhhhh... also try rigging it texas style with a skirt and jerk it threw weeds, you think a swim jig is good, try this. ssshhhh
Fishface

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to add a question. Where are the o-rings that you guys used purchased from. Also as of Saturday I was at Dick's they had all sizes 2 for $10. Thanks for all the info in this discussion. I have yet to try these out but I did but a couple of bags on Saturday.

Tim
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, If you can't locate the small O-rings locally then you can buy them from a site called McMaster-Carr. Just get some slightly smaller diameter than the stickbaits you plan on using and they should work fine.

Jim
Fishface

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that heatshrink idea in the canal at Enfield dam. Bought some clear 3/8th shrink and cut about 1/2" pieces and just stuck the hook right through the shrink. Worked awesome, ended up with about 5 smallies with one 2.5lber.

Tim, about the Senkos 2 for $10 at Dicks. Try checking out sports authority and wally word for their clearance sections. I always ending finding stick baits for cheap, even Yamamoto ones in normal colors like green with red flake.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split rings http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_8535_151005009_151000000_151005000_151-5-9
Added weight works great!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: