CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Shore Fishing has Been Rough
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvanRushki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Shore Fishing has Been Rough Reply with quote

Ive been having some good luck since i just recently got back into fishing this year, but the shore fishing has slowed ( Still Water, Winchester, Highland, Dog Pond). I think the bass have moved to deeper water that I cant get to. Was thinking that with colebrook so low I might be able to get to some spots with steeper dropoffs, and then move onto to west branch res, and it looks like there are a few smaller ponds in that area as well. Any N.W ct anglers have any other ideas as to places to try from shore that may be productive this time of year. Thanks.

PB : 34" Northen Pike 13# Bantam Lake.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since early July and post spawn, I haven't been into it at Twin Brooks like I was back in May and June. My only productive place has been a private lake that hardly gets any pressure.

The only time I've been hitting the bass at Twin Brooks Park and Bunnells Pond is when there's a good weather pattern to turn them on. Otherwise it's a few pickerel and plenty of sunnies at Twin Brooks and nothing at Bunnells Pond.
chud059

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shore fishing sucks, but you've got to make the best of it. I walk as far as I can in some bodies of water, Bigelow, Risley, mashapaug coves.. smaller rivers and streams in the Tolland area. I haven't been up to the NW area yet this season, would like to soon though but I know the farmington @ pleasant valley has great access from the shore and I can cast almost across the river.

I just use some old sneakers, old shorts and an old shirt, I bring a couple of towels and a change of socks and sneakers to change into. If you can wade in water safely go for it.
IvanRushki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ended up at the west branch MDC below Colebrook. Really a nice place, the view alone is worth a ride out. Water was clear with a rocky bottom and got two smallies on a wacky rigged 5" senko. I might start leaving that big ole tackle box at home, since that is all the bass seem to be hitting for me this year.

zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady and I have been slamming them out at Colebrook all season.

We go every Sunday afternoon, regardless of weather pattern.

7 weeks in a row now, no disappointment.

Generally pulling out 1 1/2 lbers, with a few over 2lbs mixed in. About every other trip someone yanks out a 3+.

Using nothing but Gary Yamamotos of various color. A buddy was grabbing some with YUMS.

If a cold front is inbound, we cant cast without getting hits.

Cant wait to get out there, leaving in a couple hours, weather is looking tasty! Already rained a few times today.

On a non-fishing note: Its wild seeing the change in water level. When we started going this season the water was up to the access road, we were literally fishing from the pavement. Now you must walk some 60-70 feet down grade. Wild!
zegermanznew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady and I have been slamming them out at Colebrook all season.

We go every Sunday afternoon, regardless of weather pattern.

7 weeks in a row now, no disappointment.

Generally pulling out 1 1/2 lbers, with a few over 2lbs mixed in. About every other trip someone yanks out a 3+.

Using nothing but Gary Yamamotos of various color. A buddy was grabbing some with YUMS.

If a cold front is inbound, we cant cast without getting hits.

Cant wait to get out there, leaving in a couple hours, weather is looking tasty! Already rained a few times today.

On a non-fishing note: Its wild seeing the change in water level. When we started going this season the water was up to the access road, we were literally fishing from the pavement. Now you must walk some 60-70 feet down grade. Wild!
tracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't suggest a local pond in your area but I will tell you even with the heat spell we have had.

Shore night fishing is still good. Don't bother fishing from shore during the day.
If I was going to shore fish for bass. I wouldn't even think about casting a line out until 9:00 or 10 :00 pm.

Bait fish will move and the bass will follow .
chud059

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the fishing at night from shore... I want to fish during the day but I know I won't catch anything...maybe if I used worms and bobbers. Going up to bigelow wednesday or thursday late afternoon...may trek to breakneck pond.
tracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059 wrote:
I agree with you about the fishing at night from shore... I want to fish during the day but I know I won't catch anything...maybe if I used worms and bobbers. Going up to bigelow wednesday or thursday late afternoon...may trek to breakneck pond.

I don't blame you for wanting to fish during the day. It's a natural feeling to want to fish at that time. I really only got into fresh water bass fishing in the last few years. I fished fresh water once in a while but I was a surf fisherman.

For us it was just natural to surf fish at night for stripers . Unless there
was some type of day time blitz . It was a night time activity to surf fish.

Too many sleepless nights then off to work. I'm too old to be doing that now.
Plus I moved inland . I don't live near the coast anymore.

If you can get a buddy to go with you try some night fishing on a few lakes. It's always better if you're not out there alone.

Good luck Wednesday , maybe as you said , live bait could do the trick.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chud059 wrote:

Same here with time of day. My only hopes locally, other than the private lake, are throwing a worm on the bottom or a few feet down from a bobber and be patient.

With the recent rains we just had, I'm looking into getting some fishing done on the Housy and Naugy now that the water is moving and had gotten higher. I just have to wait for somebody. Not having a car these days is tough.
IvanRushki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days of top water action on a Humpin' Toad has assured me that my new rod is in fact not cursed, and has been allot of fun. The fish were not all that big but watching them slam that toad as it churned across the surface made up for it. Was surprised at how aggressive some were, missing it twice and then grabbing it again as I played injured frog twitching as I let it sink.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: