CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Shore fishing New Haven/Milford area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey5string

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Shore fishing New Haven/Milford area Reply with quote

Looking for some good Bass/Fluke spots accessible from shore. Preferably no wading/climbing over wet rocks/scaling fences/sea walls or fishing from a 50ft bridge Wink

Also, would like a place where there are not 50 other guys whipping frozen bunker chunks an inch from my face.

So a easy to get to, comfortable, secluded, spot with great action and no other fishermen. ; )

Seriously though, I live in W haven right on the water but the my beach is just flats. I have caught fish there but usually late summer and its not a sure thing.

Ive heard Long Wharf is good. Have a feeling there would be a hundred other guys though. Ive fished the sandbar in front of Captains Galley in WH and caught some bass but I dont know the layout that well and ive gotten caught out there where I had to cross a river up to my neck to get back.

Milford Harbor is OK but I was thinking going further South. Never really fished Stratford or Fairfield. Anyone familiar with that area want to meet up and fish one of these days/nights?
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Places I could think of from New Haven to Fairfield include Long Wharf, West Haven Beach, Silver Sands, Gulf Beach, Russian Beach, Long Beach, Pleasure Beach, Saint Mary's, Sasco Beach, and Southport Harbor.
bluefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey when u find that nearr perfect place only let a select few no because before u no it ull have 50 dudes with no lic throwin frozen bunkerand mac all over ur line leavin their crap behind(sandworm boxes,beer cans and plastic bags from the bait shop)and takken every under size fish home with them.yes I sound pissed off but everyone has seen it and there to few DEP guys out there to enforce the law. So put the dep # on ur cell phone speed dial and keep callin them when u see these wonders of nature doin what do. On a lighter note high tide at firehouse in wh is nice somewhat quiet spot and if u plug try behind see wall off south street to trumble street had some good luck lots of structure off beach for sb.
bluefish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey when u find that nearr perfect place only let a select few no because before u no it ull have 50 dudes with no lic throwin frozen bunkerand mac all over ur line leavin their crap behind(sandworm boxes,beer cans and plastic bags from the bait shop)and takken every under size fish home with them.yes I sound pissed off but everyone has seen it and there to few DEP guys out there to enforce the law. So put the dep # on ur cell phone speed dial and keep callin them when u see these wonders of nature doin what do. On a lighter note high tide at firehouse in wh is nice somewhat quiet spot and if u plug try behind see wall off south street to trumble street had some good luck lots of structure off beach for sb.
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to go to any one of the places Michael mentioned, but be sure to go when it's raining, cold, and not a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It's weekend warrior season baby.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from diveing the shore the hotest spots ive seen for fish is under the bridge where blackhawk exits to bay weekends its nuts there but thats not a problem for you with open days....Pleasure Beach gets alot of action but theres no structure out there just sand most fish I seen where right under the wall where you stand so fish close stoneington point parking area is very active area fish straight out as you drive in to the left more rocks out that side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone.

I fish from shore in west haven a lot because i can walk down from my house.
I live right in between the fire house and south street. A lot of flats, but right at south street it changes to a rocky shore. I have had some luck on some of those side streets between south st and milford. Lots of porgy.

and bluefish, i have the DEP tip line on my phone. I havent been able to use it yet because i havent caught anyone in the act but I cant stand slobs who leave their plastic bags, beer cans and fishing line everywhere. The main reason I stick close to home is because there arent many fishermen around and its nice.

The known spots around here are chock full of inconsiderate slobs with the exception of the sandbar at captains galley which due to its somewhat difficult access keeps a lot of those type out.

i had (im guessing) a bluefish bits my swimbait in half last night, going down again to throw some plugs and see what happens,.

thanks
mike
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're throwing any lures instead of only chunking, then Penfield Reef is another place. Only thing about Penfield is get in before the tide.

The eastern side of Penfield is shallow and flat while the western side has a quick 2 to 4 foot drop off. "The Reef" changes every year because of different weather patterns and storms.
mikey5string

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Ive never fished Penfield but have heard about it.

When i am shore fishing I almost always use lures. If a school comes in casting distance I might snag a bunker and live line it but Id rather throw plugs.

Let me know if youre in west haven fishing we could meet up.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to get you into fishing the Reef this year. Bluefish are running out there right now, but once we get into the second half of June, it's bound to get even better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: