CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Silver Lake 8/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Silver Lake 8/26 Reply with quote

Went out to Silver Lake today quickly because I really needed to fish. Planned to go out tomorrow but as you know weather is supposed to be horrible...Silver Lake is really close so its my only option sometimes and theres no water skiing people (shallow water, murky water).

Fished from 3pm-730pm with my girlfriend. Really wanted to try some new tactics and some advice I got from Phil.

Started off fishing along the edge. I tied about 2 feet of fluorcarbon to my braid and hooked a stanley ribbit bullfrog to a 4/0 stanley wedge hook. I thought they were cool cuz the spring ties into the frog. Started running it over the weeds and got a couple jumps, eventually I landed my first LMB...little small, about 9 inches or so..

Started working my way around and found another area with a bunch of weeds, looked like the fish were pretty hungry. I started running along the edge and decided to try under the shades but I was lazy to try my senko so I said screw it...let me just keep the frog on lol. Eventually I nabbed a 13 inch LMB, thing jumped out of the water after I hooked it.

Started to get a little late so I decided to troll back to shore to head out. Instead of packing up my gear I decided hey let me just keep casting and sure enough another one...little smaller, it had some damage on its back fins..

All in all I thought it was a good day. I went skunked for a couple times out and this definitely made up for it. I would like to thank Phil for giving me the advice of waiting before I set the hook. I waited about 3-4 seconds before setting the hook and had some good luck.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on catching your first frogging largemouth bass, Steve!

I love frogging! When largemouth bass are actively feeding, a frog will work anywhere that you can get it close to them. If a fish hits the frog and doesn't have it in its mouth for the hookset after a few seconds, chances are that it wasn't a largemouth or it was small anyway. I once set a frog hook through the brain of a green sunfish:

I still have no idea how it got the frog into its mouth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow..I didn't even know that sunfish would hit them! I am definitely a big fan of frogging now!!
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Some of the best and most fun bass I have caught and have seen caught have been frogging... Sometimes they just SMASH EM!!!! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is that the Silver Lake in Meriden/Berlin? Been by it a couple times, looks good. Nice catch as well.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't keep anything that you catch in there. Mercury. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep in Berlin/Meriden. Yeah the Mercury isn't good there. Some parts of the lake look pretty bad too it's so weedy. I saw somebody out in the middle of the lake inside the water and I was surprised...I would never go in there. The good thing is I use my trolling motor to battle through the weeds and get to some of the good fishing spots Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: