CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Silver Lake 9/13 & Farmington Res 9/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Silver Lake 9/13 & Farmington Res 9/14 Reply with quote

I can never get enough fishing in so when I get a chance I swing by some fishing holes. I stopped by Silver Lake on my way home from a jobsite on Tuesday to wet a line. I forgot how hard it was to be a shore fisherman but got a quick reminder the last couple of days. Didn't have time to get the yak out so I just cast where I could. I tried near the boat launch and caught a little 8" LMB on a senko. I've been traveling light with just my senko rod lately. I need to change that up I can see.

I also tried the little cove where the water outflow is at the North end but didn't see anything.

Same scenario but the next day I stopped in for a quick shore trip at Farmington Reservoir. I worked the whole shoreline at the park area and a few laydowns from the wooded area accessable from shore. I picked up a little 11" LMB from a big laydown

and a small 8" LMB from off of the brick pump house in the center of the shoreline.

Guess it's better than not fishing and better than the skunk. I was also glad to see the fish in the reservoir are looking a bit healthier than they were this time last year.
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like about Silver Lake is pretty much everytime I go there I catch something. I havent fished from shore, but you are absolutely right its way better than being skunked or not fishing at all!

-Steve
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Farmington Reservoir has green largemouth bass now?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know right...last year they looked like big shiners or funny shaped white perch Very Happy Who knows...maybe a tough winter actually helped that pond.
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very green
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered about the wide range of coloration you see in bass, and whether it was an environmental thing, a health thing, an individual pigmentation thing… can anyone offer any more insight?

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically the more colorful fish are healthy fish. Spawning fish will also tend to have more vibrant colors. When the color leaves the fish as they used to be at Farmington Res it typically means the fish is stressed. It could be any number of reasons for a fish being stressed. Bad water quality, low oxygen, disease, water temperature, high incident of predators, overcrowding, etc...

Healthy fish will also range in color based on their environment, food source, even the depth at which the fish are holding. I'm not sure but I would also guess that as in humans different fish have different pigmentation levels based on genetics.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference here's a pic of some fish from the Res last year...

This one was a bit darker but not by much...
flippy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enviroment
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is the fishing at Silver Lake actually, I see some people on here hate it, others say it's decent. It's only like a 10 min. ride from Wolcott, so it'd be a good close spot for some largy fishing in the big boat.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only caught the one small LMB from shore so I won't judge it based on that. From what I hear there are plenty of fish but mostly on the small side, "cookie cutter" fish.
BigSteve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried Silver Lake 5 or 6 times, and just like Batterson Park, which is right up the street, I've never had luck. Maybe going to hit Hanover today for the first time.
hila2006

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you make it to Hanover? It's another spot not too far from home, can't use our big motor, but can still fish from the boat without using the motor.
BigSteve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, I had been skunked my last few trips out (which haven't been any since July) so it was great to catch fish, I nailed one right off the bat, nice 3 lber and caught 3 more while losing, so despite the drive through some shady places to get there it is my new favorite spot.
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, shady places eh? Maybe I'll have to find another route to take our boat there, LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: