CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Silver Lake Berlin (Peat Works Pond?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basscaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Silver Lake Berlin (Peat Works Pond?) Reply with quote

Made my first Kayak trip to Silver lake today. First off I was surprised how shallow the majority of the lake is looking at a bathymetry last night. I was even more surprised how much of the the weeds held over from the winter and has began to grow again already. Literally the entire bottom to a few feet to a foot from the surface in the majority of the lake.

It was a bluebird day and relatively calm. No luck with a spinnerbait as to be expected in calm water on a sunny day but didn't have many options with the weeds. Hit the deep art with a crankbait in the middle with no luck. Think I saw one fish chase it to the kayak once but can't be sure. Went with a rapala jerk bait on the point of the island facing the deep water and caught a nice 17 incher. no luck after that.

I explored the shallows in a cove in crystal clear water and saw half a dozen decent bass eluding the kayak near the lily pads but they were not very interested in my pumpkin flake senko. Did have a small one on but the shore for a few seconds but came off line unfortunately. I also saw a number of 15 inch or so slime darts in the same area as I explored and glad none bit. A steady 15-20 mph wind came in and kicked up a heavy chop. To boot I got backlash into the wind and dropped my anchor in to slow my fast drift to avoid the shore as I pulled out line of my reel. The nice part was that i hadn't tied off my anchor and lost the whole thing. I heard another guy in a Kayak yelling and cursing as he just had pulled into the cove into calm water hen the wind picked up and ruined all the fun. He had literally made 2 casts and boom steady kayak crushing wind.

My overall taker on the place was that it is a decent fishing spot right now but in a month it will be overrun by weeds. There seems to be plenty of forage bait for the bass and not many little bass. All the bass i saw and caught were good sized. Its a shame this lake is overrun with invasive weeds like this because it really screws it all up.

Anybody fish here on the regular? How bad is it in the summer?
basscaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need 10 posts to upload url pics on this place. silly. its like a ghost town here and shouldn't have any non user friendly features like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: