CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: silver lake Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Silver Lake, Meriden Reply with quote

Lobsterman,

Sorry for the late response, I went to Silver Lake this past weekend and had fun.

12 smallies and two FAT Pike. All caught in front of the island about 60 yards off, there is a small hole at is 10'.

Weedless warm work real nice.

Ron
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I don't think there are smallies in Silver Lake? Were you refering to smallies as in small ones? Very Happy How did the new boat handle the weeds there? Bet the trolling motor had a good workout!
Nickp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no pike in there either....

I did ok with a secret lure. Anyone up for a tourney there on the 16th?
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Yes, by smallies I meant small fish..

Nick, Yes there are pike in Silver Lake.. I caught them a few times. I have witnesses.

They are out toward the middle of the lake..

Ron
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I stand corrected.. Crying or Very sad You are correct, NO PIKE in Siler Lake. What I caught was a Pickerel.

I caught another one the other everning and took a picture of it to make sure what it was and the I matched it up to a Pickerel. Embarassed

Ron

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would stock pike in there! It would control the bass population which is heavily slanted towards small fish right now,...additionally it'd make it a more fun place to fish if you would have the possibility of latching onto a +10 lb fish every now and then!!
BTW, don't give up on that place,..give it another shot in a month or two,..the lily pads get thicker, but a lot of that grassy weed growth kinda dies back as the water gets more stained and makes it slightly easier to get around!

I would be up for a tourney there,..but it looks like it's not happening this month!
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Greetings from Nw Mexico.. First things first... IT'S HOT HERE.. It hit 100deg's today..

Ok, Back to Silver Lake. Do I hear a friendly three way challenge between you Jim and I? Kinda think so..

I'm glad that the weeds will die off some, I do enjoy that small lake..

I want to start doing some trips to the cove as well..

See you in 5 days, going to try and get some fishing in while I'm here.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using a single blade white spinner bait, popper (at dusk) and plastic worms. I have caught fish in everywhere in that lake. If it is windy, I try to fish a spot that is protected, if it calm I like the small cove to the left of the boat launch (if you on the launch facing the lake). The lilies are always pretty productive.

I haven't caught anything over 3lbs in years there though. Just a lot of 1-2lbers. I caught my first 5lber there when I was 15 and have been fishing there ever since - i am 31 now. It does seem like that lake is going down hill. 3-5lbers used to be pretty common. I must have been a better fisherman then.

Justin
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
I haven't caught anything over 3lbs in years there though. Just a lot of 1-2lbers. I caught my first 5lber there when I was 15 and have been fishing there ever since - i am 31 now. It does seem like that lake is going down hill. 3-5lbers used to be pretty common. I must have been a better fisherman then.

I think the lake is getting a little more fishing pressure these days as there are more people getting into bass fishing now than there was 10-15 years ago. Believe me the big fish are there as I have caught a 5, 6, and 7 lber out of there in the last 3 seasons and have seen a picture of an 8lber caught there by a friend of mine also. As always, the big fish hunker down there and are very selective in what they choose to strike and when. They didn't get big being dumb bass. But as mentioned before, the lake needs to be harvested of the little ones either by fishing or predation so that the remaining population doesn't become stunted in growth.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They didn't get big being dumb bass."

lol, you got a point.

Justin
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone down for a tourney there? Cheap entry or no entry? I was just talking about fishing there today. Deffinately plenty of 1's and 2's to make it fun. Cool Early start? tourney thread up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: