CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Simsbury Reservoir 03/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Simsbury Reservoir 03/10 Reply with quote

When the rain started to fall this afternoon, I figured that I was done fishing for the day. But then jonnyfly00 (aka Jon) sent me a text asking whether I'd like to check out the Simsbury Reservoir. I think that most of the locals don't even know that it exists. We weren't sure who owns it, until Jon found this:

http://www.ct.gov/governorrell/cwp/view.asp?A=1720&Q=277614&pp=3

Whoo hoo! It's State land, even though it doesn't appear in the Angler's Guide. After some fits and starts, we located the trailhead to the reservoir. It's across the street from where Pasture Lane intersects with Route 309 (aka Westledge Road) in West Simsbury. The hike up to the reservoir is about 1/2 mile; down a hill, over a brook, up a hill and then back down a hill. The trail is blazed, but very rough. For some reason, deer pellets were piled all over the trail; every three feet over several long stretches. Do deer mark territory that way? Confused Anyway, the reservoir is an impoundment with the dam on the south end. It's about 1/2 mile long and 100 yards wide at its widest point. It's an absolutely beautiful setting:

Link

We didn't get onto the ice until 4:00 pm, so we had only a very limited amount of time to fish. When we arrived, it was drizzling and misty, with very little wind. I decided to just jig, but Jon was determined to set tip-ups:

I tried several holes in a very limited area along the west shore, toward the south end. It started to rain, but for only a very brief period. The water was deep everywhere I tried. 15 feet off of the west shore, it was 12 feet deep. In the middle of the reservoir, it was 25 feet deep. I jigged my smallest micro jig, which is basically a small gold plated and weighted jig head hook, baited with three waxies. It wasn't until I jigged in the middle of the pond in 25 feet of water that I even got a nibble. Shortly afterward, I landed a little sunny. By this time, it was after 5:00 pm and Jon had to begin packing his tip-ups for the hike back out. As we left the ice, it started to rain. Fortunately, the hike back out was much easier than the hike in had been.

I can't wait to go back and spend some quality time fishing there. It's like a local (for me, at least) mini Breakneck Pond. Now I have to figure out how the heck to get a kayak in there after the ice melts. Hmmm. . . . Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Sounds like you were hiking in on a game trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: