CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Sit on Top vs Sit inside Kayaks? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korrupt3dazn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Sit on Top vs Sit inside Kayaks? Reply with quote

looking to do some fishing but not sure what I want...
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: new to kayaking Reply with quote

yah im new to kayaking. Ijust bought my first one last week. and have only taken it out once. I got a pelican Sit inside, 10'1/2 feet. man its nice. If you plan on going out on days with any waves or desent ripples on the water. your going to want a sit inside. My buddies sit on top is nice. but you will get wet. no cover from the weather. so your just getting cooked and wet all the time. with the sit inside. you have options. skirts, and what not. and you have better storage capabilities. if you really wana get a lot of fishing done in different areas. Sit Inside is the way to go. so much you can do with it.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinks are more stable, but sots are self-bailing if you were to dump. If I could have only one kayak, I'd get a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Angler or a Hobie i9s. Either one would do everything I need a kayak to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: was a tuff decision Reply with quote

yah i had a hard time deciding which to go with. sot, or sit inside. but the extra cover and added stuff room. i had to go with sit inside. i know im going to be squeezing in on the really tight streams. the sit inside. allows me to go head first into the abyss without thinking twice. except for the occasional look out for bee hives and tree snakes. otherwise just push through. Smile

self bailing is nice though. flip it rightside up on the tipovers. but i dont plan on tipping over any time soon. Smile

whatever you get. you will love. just think of what kind of fishing you like to do the most. if your hardcore and get out in the crappy weather, you may want some extra protection with a sit inside. if you preffer sunny days and no wind or rain. then sit on top might be your style.

Either way. Good luck. see you out there soon.
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco,

Not the Hobie Pro Angler?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the kayak fishing world as well. Just bought mine back in February over at Cabelas. I have the Vapor 12XT Angler which is a sit in. I couldn't be happier with it. Down the road I may think of buying a sit on for those hot summer days when I'd almost prefer to get a little wet. In a place like Connecticut you would definitely extend your season a bit longer though having the sit in. I agree with BassTrapper though, you'll love whatever you get.
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: yessir Reply with quote

its a whole new experience out there on the yak. gonna take me some time to get used to set ups and what i want and dont want. need and dont need. but overall its just a blast out there.

ive only been out once, and im addicted. most likely going to black pond today if the wind holds up.

Rain dont bother me. its the wind that sucks.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron

I need a trailer to haul my Hobie Pro Angler, so I can't use it all of the time. I've had it on Bantam River only once because it's too big and cumbersome. The one time that I had it on there, the water level was way high and I had help pulling it out of the water.

Luckily, I can have more than one kayak. I just picked up a Hobie Mirage i9s from Collinsville Canoe and Kayak. I'm dying to try her out, but don't want to be out in this cold drizzle. My wet hands get too freakin' cold in even the gentle winds that are out there right now.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Rain Reply with quote

yah Peco.

I feel you there, even the slightest breeze after a little moister on the hands sure does make it hard to feel what your doing. One reason i havent had my own brand new kayak on the water yet. going on 4 days now. AHHH.. freakin out.

Going to be buying me a headlamp and one of them Glow sticks for fishing. and do some late afternoon night fishing this season. when all the bugs are on the flat surface and all you can see is waves of fish feeding like they never eaten before. Cant wait to have that first night in my kayak.

right now. drizzle breeze is definitely a deterrent for now.
korrupt3dazn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think im going to get this one. There is one of Craigslist for 400$ that comes with life vest and oars. Gonna see if I can get it cheaper.

PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great kayak, except for the seat. With its dihedral hull, it's probably one of the most stable boats out there. Fishface (aka Tim) and steven1smith (aka Steven) each have one. Tim's seat shredded in the wind while he was cartopping it, and both he and Steven say that it's not very comfortable for extended paddles. However, Tim recently told me that the Canucks at Future Beach have redesigned it. I think that he ordered one, but he's still waiting for it to clear customs.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: nice nice Reply with quote

TWINS. i say TWINS> lol. Nice yak man, That is the exact one i got from Dicks.

you will like it. very stable. Only sucky thing about the rod holders on it. Is if you use ultra light rods. The butt of the rods arent long enough to stay in place. easily get knocked out and loose a set up.

but they sell better rod holders for 10 - 20 bucks that swivel. and are adjustable. worth the extra few bucks to get a holder out in front of you.

Sweet yak man, your going to love it. I arleady fell in love with mine.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korrupt3dazn

The Dick's Sporting Goods in Canton has the Future Beach Trophy 126 on sale for only $349.99. Plus, you can always find coupons for Dick's, so you should be able to get at least $10.00 more off of the price.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: future beach Reply with quote

thats what i got, same one. Only thing i was mad about was two weeks ago i went to price them out, and found that same one on sale at dicks for 270. then i went to pick it up 4 days later, and it was back up to 349. Sad poooop. but i wanted it. so i got it. lol.
korrupt3dazn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also looking at this one. I found a guy selling it brand new for 500$ this pic is of the actual kayak he is selling. OceanKayak Prowler 13

Last edited by korrupt3dazn on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: