CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Skitter Pop Rocks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Skitter Pop Rocks! Reply with quote

Started walking out onto the Fayerweather jetty just after 1pm Saturday. Winds were a nice southerly flow. Birds were once again working the waters with the stripers that were only accessible by boat.

As I made my way out on the jetty I casted in usual areas on the beach side. Southwest winds increased throughout the afternoon making the Black Rock Harbor side rough. My usual November area produced a 16" schoolie on the shad SP-9. That's where I saw a cormorant constantly going underwater and coming back up with peanut bunker.

Worked my way out to the island and back around before heading over to the ramp. When I get to the ramp it was choppy. Saw a usual chummer there who said he had a live bunker out there for hours with not a single hit or run. The casters I saw Friday evening were also there but never got any attention and neither did I.

I went back out to the jetty once tide was half way out. One area I saw some peanut bunker jump with 3 splashes. Tried casting but never got a swirl or explosion. Made my way back over to the ramp once the southwest winds had died down and went farther inside but niente.

Plan was to head over to check out Breezy Point after riding my bike over to the jetty to see what the water looked like. When I get to the jetty I see the birds following the bait and stripers slowly to the west. As I keep and eye on them, I decided to head out to Fayerweather Island having a feeling I would get into them. Fished an area I waded in this time last year on the outgoing tide by throwing the SP-9, which was the same lure I got into a bite with last year. Second cast resulted in a good fight with a 27.5" striper that felt 8 to 10 pounds. 5 casts later and landed a 20" striper. The bite kept going after sunset until the tide got too low which would have required waders to get into the fish.

Total other than the 16"er was 5 during the sunset bite. Lost 1 quickly, had 2 swirls, and 1 other explosion all on the shad SP-9. The 27.5" striper was the type of striper I like targeting with smaller lures and a light setup. Felt like a nice fight with a 5 or 6 pound tailor.

Hit the road around 6:30pm
junkie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunker or bait fisherman not chummer!!!! [/img]
sonamcobain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you that you were onto some fish, i was by east haven light house, not a single bite, only saw bunch of snappers.
Chunkin4Blues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea dude its called (chunking) not chummimg have the Dr rework your meds lol
insomnia11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing you didn't come to breezy mike... i was there sat and sunday
i had live bunkers and got nada Sad
i put a shark reel on a 10 ft'er and had the bunkers out 400 yards+...half way to the ferry channel Shocked
.did the same monday in westport and got skunked again! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: