CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Skunked at Great Hollow 4/27/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Skunked at Great Hollow 4/27/14 Reply with quote

I was seconds away from taking my kakak to great hollow lake for some yak fishing.

Fortunately, at the last minute I decided to keep it home and do some shore fishing there.

The reason why I say 'fortunately" is because the wind was relentless from the time I got there at 8:30 until the time I left at 10:45

The place was packed full of people on both sides and all around the lake. Most were fishing for trout, and I saw no one having any luck.

I threw my usual roster of senkos with my bass rod and I came down with a horrific snag in my UL rig, so I primarily fished for bass while I was there.
Although I got the fat skunk, I enjoyed a tasty Perdomo limited ediciion' cigar.
bushey723

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have any luck there, do you ever catch Bass in there?
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I caught some very chunky bass from my yak at the Hollow.
I threw my usual assortment of senkos and have had good luck with 4 inch versions,

I have not had any luck with trout from there, but have seen people catch them in bulk.
bushey723

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am opposite I often visit in the spring for trout and do fairly well, I caught a good sized brown trolling around in my Yak last year, and a few small rainbows this year.

But never any Bass, perhaps my presentation is always to large for them seeing how the place gets some heavy pressure.
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushey,
\what is your preferred setup when fishing for trout at the Hollow?

Also, what part of the lake do you prefer to hit up for trout?

thanks
bushey723

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trolling in my Yak I use standard Thomas buoyant, and i cruise the whole thing. If I still fish then its pink power bait eggs, they seem to work close to stocking times, and for that i go opposite side of the launch about half way on the lake, there is a bit of a drop off so you can plug a little deeper. I never really fish the launch area as i just feel there is always way to many people hanging around.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go out on Great Hollow in a former buddy's canoe during the spring for trout and other fish.

Later in the afternoon into the evening when we'd see the trout rising, we'd troll with small shallow plugs and tiny spoons. Rapalas I always had luck with during that period were Original Floater F-7 and F-5, Jointed J-7 and J-5, and Flat Rap FLR-6.

While throwing the Senko, 3 areas that are worth it are Fisherman's Cove, the weedy area up by where the Pequonnock River East Branch feeds in, and the corner on the southern part of the lake where you see weeds.

With there being steep drop offs near shore and lots of trees in those areas, casting a medium or deep diving crankbait over there and doing a slow or steady retrieve gets bass and other fish to come up and grab it. My #1 Rapala for that technique is the Jointed Shad Rap JSR-4.

1 other thing I'd recommend is using a suspending jerkbait near shallow weedy edges. Largemouths, crappie, and pickerel have hit it that way, and I caught a solid 3 pound pickerel one time with other catches being aggressive cookie cutters and slab crappie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: