CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Slow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Slow Reply with quote

Hit the Fayerweather jetty for the afternoon incoming and outgoing Thursday. Seeing what the action has been like recently, I switched reels on the 7 footer and put the Fierce 2000/10 pound braid rig on it.

Arrived at the parking area at 1:18pm and walked out to my first usual stop. Lures I threw included chartreuse ghost XRW-13, blue back herring LC-12, shad SP-9, glass ghost XRW-9, smelt BXM-10, speckled trout SSW-11, and flake purple ghost MXR-15. Had 1 bump and landed a sea robin on the BXM-10.

Headed farther out after hearing word that small schoolies and tailors were active on the surface. Didn't see anything happening as I walked out so I stopped at my usual fall schoolie spots, which resulted in a 17" schoolie on the BXM-10 and 2 pound tailor on the XRW-9. Had a number of other hits on the BXM-10 and snappers were showing interest in it too.

Once the tide started heading out and things had slowed down, I hit the same spots again as I headed back in but nada.

Checked out the city ramp finding nothing happening. Big bunker or small tailors were active there earlier but the big issue earlier was a gusty north wind. Winds eventually became west and southwest and not as gusty while I was fishing on the jetty.

Last stop was Breezy Point to find 1 to 3 foot waves crashing against the rocks due to the west wind. Tried casting the BXM-10 in safe areas but nada.

Hit the road just before 5:45pm

Eventhough I saw the big bunker by the ramp, I'm not hearing and seeing much about bigger fish during the daylight and twilight hours at Seaside. It's basically something small imitating a silverside, young snapper, or peanut bunker that will get fish to hit, with most fish being on the smaller side.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the small fish. I was out there from 5 to 9 last night. (althought I dont know if we were seeing the same waves, it was flat calm out there!)

Fished out by BH then came in and fished the edges of some BIG schools of bunker out in front of Fayerweather. 2-4 lb blues all over the place. Landed fishon chunks, and diamond jigs, but nothing over maybe 5 lbs.

Had one big bass miss gulping down a needle plug at the boat.

Not good looks with the bluefish tourny around the corner. Unless I can find them without runnig too far east or west, I might just go flukin.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the waves.....

Breezy Point has a thing for waves vs areas over by the beach when there's a steady west wind. BH is protected from those west winds due to the breakwater.

But when there's a strong east wind, it's the opposite. Waves in BH and over by the beach while quiet at Breezy Point and Black Rock Harbor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: