CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: SLOW
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: SLOW Reply with quote

Hit Seaside again Friday. Arrived around 4:15 at the western end right around high tide. Winds were a steady 8 to 15 southeast making many areas along the shore see 1 to 2 foot waves crashing hard.

Never got into anything along the Fayerweather jetty and out at Fayerweather Island.

Headed east by the time it was about 6pm. Birds were just starting to get busy, and once I was getting closer to Breezy Point was when I started seeing the gulls working schools of bait with the bluefish farther out. The blues never pushed the bait in. 2 other usual surfcasters and I casted in areas around Breezy Point and over by the gazebo but we never got a single sign of action.

A rod I tried for the first time was a 7 foot 2 piece Tsunami Five Star surf rod. Power is medium. After casting with it for the first time today, I am selling the 7 foot 2 piece Airwave. The Five Star rod is a bit heavier than the Airwave, but has an excellent feeling for backbone, fast action, and power just like my 7 foot 1 piece Star Rods Aerial surf/jetty rod does. I was hoping to find a 2 piece version of the Aerial and finally did. Plenty of stiffness to go with just enough flex at the tip and lightweight is what I love. The Five Star rod to go with 10 pound braid casted a Rapala X-Rap Walk XRW-13 much farther than the more flexible Airwave would and was excellent against the southeast wind. Plan on selling 1 of my Fierce 2000 spinning reels and replacing it with a Conflict 1000 for 10 pound braid to match up with this rod.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go with a 1000 size reel for any saltwater use. But you know i like to land my catches...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
I wouldn't go with a 1000 size reel for any saltwater use. But you know i like to land my catches...

The reason why I'd rather go with a size 1000 is because the Conflict and certain other modern Penns are able to hold braided line without needing mono backup, which means a 125 yard spool of 10 pound braid can easily go on it, even though it's rated 110 yards.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Crest Daddy wrote:

The reason why I'd rather go with a size 1000 is because the Conflict and certain other modern Penns are able to hold braided line without needing mono backup, which means a 125 yard spool of 10 pound braid can easily go on it, even though it's rated 110 yards.

Any decent fish will destroy the reel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: