CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Small Pond & Twin Brooks 9/1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Small Pond & Twin Brooks 9/1 Reply with quote

Sunday afternoon I headed out to see how the bite was with largemouths and what the water level was like. First stop was the funeral home pond around 2pm.

The water at the funeral home was very murky with algae due to low water levels. That had me picking up lots of algae with all lures I threw.

Played around with a number of lures to see what the pattern was. Found the pattern to be topwater imitating a dragonfly and smaller plugs in colors brown, gold, and green. The smaller plugs were brown trout Jointed J-5 and baby bass Husky Jerk HJ-6. Compared a brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6 to the J-5 but found the distressed jointed action of the J-5 to be the key. Compared an olive green muddler FLR-6 to the HJ-6 but found the rattle to be the key of the HJ-6.

Ended up catching 3 yellow perch, 1 bluegill, and a 14.5" 2 pound largemouth. 1 perch came on the HJ-6 and the rest came on the J-5. Lost 3 nice largemouths on the jump. 2 were on a moss back shiner XRP-7 and the other was on the J-5.

Once it was almost 5pm, I headed over to Twin Brooks.

Played with the J-5 mostly before hitting the evening topwater with the XRP-7. Caught 3 small yellows with the J-5.

Hit the evening topwater spots with the XRP-7 and a chrom black Baby Torpedo. Had 2 small taps at 1 spot and 2 nice explosions at another. 1 tap came on the Heddon and the others were with the XRP-7. The 2 explosions seemed to have been a a pickerel lurking around.

Hit the road just after 7:15pm.

Water levels were the issue today, making the waters easier to pick up algae and the topwater bite slow.
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a good day all in all!
WAY BETTER than our day Friday at the Housy.
Nice going once again.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post and good catches! I appreciate the comparisons in the report too, I've been trying to do the same myself and more often then not I'm finding the F-5 to be outproducing most other stuff I have. Actually I'll find'em with the F-5 then switch to rubber tackle, but like you said the side to side jointed action is the difference maker.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee_Boog wrote:
Good post and good catches! I appreciate the comparisons in the report too, I've been trying to do the same myself and more often then not I'm finding the F-5 to be outproducing most other stuff I have. Actually I'll find'em with the F-5 then switch to rubber tackle, but like you said the side to side jointed action is the difference maker.

A certain retrieve that had fish going with the J-5 was constant light twitching, giving it an exaggerated distressed kicking swimming motion. That had yellow perch come shooting up for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: