CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Smallies? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Smallies? Reply with quote

I was born a backwater fisherman and growing up I became pretty dang good at catching trout in streams and I'd like to get back to those backwater roots this year but instead of hunting trout I want to pursue some smallmouth bass and I am wondering if anyone here could offer some guidance. I don't really want/need too many tips on how to catch em. I do a lot of research and like figuring this out on the water as I find it rewarding. What Im hoping I could get is some help on where I could go after them either wading or via yak. I know there's got so be some creeks people could tell me about that aren't really detailed in the Angler's Guide. If u must PM I promise to keep ur spot a secret.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I could think of around your area would be certain areas of the Farmington and the CTR.

Smallies eat very similar to largemouths. Smallies also like insects and crayfish more than largemouths.

Fishing smaller rivers for smallies usually means crayfish, crappie jigs, grubs, helgramites, and small minnow plugs. Fishing bigger rivers, lakes, and ponds means minnow plugs, crankbaits, bigger soft plastics. I've seen plenty of reports of smallie fishermen having lots of luck with the original Super Fluke in the CTR.
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. I'm actually going to be working in Norwalk for the next two months so anywhere else in between Central CT and SW CT??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naugatuck River, Housatonic River, Saugatuck Reservoir, Squantz Pond, and Candlewood Lake. All 3 lakes along the Housy also hold smallies.

Inline spinners work better than Colorados and Tandems for smallies.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CANDLEWOOD

lake zoar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really looking to paddle those HUGE lakes in my tiny kayak. What I really want to know are a couple of access points on these rivers where I could park a vehicle and then wade or paddle SAFELY. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was catching some good smallies until they shut the river down for trout stocking. Was getting them on a trout magnet and white hair jigs bouncing along the bottom.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slim2043 wrote:
Not really looking to paddle those HUGE lakes in my tiny kayak. What I really want to know are a couple of access points on these rivers where I could park a vehicle and then wade or paddle SAFELY. I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Hi slim,

Look up "Ct. water trails" -> Lots of info by Ct. counties on lakes, ponds, and streams/rivers + maps + directions.

Have fun! Very Happy

SeaDog1
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if they are listed they are legal to fish in? Also under boat access what does ADA mean?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jo,

No -> You will still need to find out if it is legal to fish particular listed waters.
Some waters may only allow paddling!
Would suggest you call DEEP or local Town Hall in town which water(s) is located for verification.

ADA = American Disabled Access

SeaDog1
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just drove by one. It said please no fishing. Not sure if they just put the sign there or what but I'm not taking chances.
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for the summer doldrums and head up to the housatonic by Kent school and have yourself a blast! River smallie city!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jomonkey527 wrote:
So if they are listed they are legal to fish in? Also under boat access what does ADA mean?

ADA is the acronym for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The ADA prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation. In other words, it's the law that requires all of those handicapped parking spaces and handicapped accessible buildings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the ADA clarification -> At the time I wrote it I couldn't remember the last A meant Act.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT_BASSman wrote:
Wait for the summer doldrums and head up to the housatonic by Kent school and have yourself a blast! River smallie city!

That right there is your best bet for easy access, Slim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: