CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: snow warning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icemike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: snow warning Reply with quote

Got snowed in on sat.-who didn't? On sun. after truck batt. died went decided to walk over to the hamlin launch to check the slush. Saw one guy wayyy out over to the right coming back from jigging. So we cut some holes near the launch & the ice was like this: 2" of crust on top-1'ofsnow-6"slush-4"ice. But-that was only up to 50 yds. out from the launch.Told my younger brother to be careful: then I cut a hole that was two inches of crust ice on top-then snow-then slush. NO ICE UNDERNEATH! THe ice rots fast w/ heavy snow. We stayed close to the launch in the spots w/ 4"+ice underneath-got only one flag in the hour. In N.W. Ct. only 12-18" snow on top of 10-12+" ice. That's where I'm heading this weekend. Ponds less than 15' deep in over 900' elevation. The ice will be nice there sat. BE CAREFUL! I wasn't as careful as I should have been & it could of resulted in a breakthrough in what I know to be 12-15' of water!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-18" in NW CT eh? My car says different, lol! Extreme NW only had less than 2 ft.

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Finally got my driveway plowed, here in Winsted, after 2 days of being trapped in the house.
Got my measuring tape and measured "25 inches" on a flat area with no drifts.

Topped off the wife's and my vehicles with gas.
May take a ride this afternoon to see how bad things are at the waters near me.

SeaDog1
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right but i checked a pond in haddam ct and it still has 6 inches of solid ice under 10 inches of slush but any below freezing days will freeze that slush
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No! .... The "Slush" under the snow may not freeze at all, or the cracks in the ice that allowed water to come up and form the slush, because the snow acts an insulation.

Best to check all the way down to solid ice and thru it !

Only way to be absolutely sure !

Stay Safe,
SeaDog1
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do i am drilling a hole every 10 yards
androux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamlin never freezes right, I'm actually surprised people fish it, I used to drive by it everyday when I worked in New Britain. It would take some of the coldest nights of the year to freeze it, and it may have had 3", and as soon as it got above freezing during the days, it opened up. Weed cover or water movement keep it from locking up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: weather Reply with quote

damn lying weathermen! they said ONLY a foot and a half up there! Oh yeah. hamlin is primarily runoff-fed. which is why it's ALWAYS thin ice& opens right up after EVERY rain, Keeps the fishing pressure off though. Also its' a pit:10' deep 10' out over 30' deep in the middle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: