CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Snuck In Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Snuck In Reply with quote

After fishing the Naugy, Mike and I were trying to decide on what to do next. We decided to sneak into the golf course seeing it was such a warm day, it was kinda breezy, and it was Tuesday.

We weren't able to fish any of the ponds by the first hole due to so much growth over the past year or 2 so we headed up to the northern end of the creek. We saw a scuba diver up there diving for golf balls but were still able to fish.

Mike threw a perch SSR-5 mostly, which got him a number of bass following and lost a few bass. He also tried throwing a Tiny Torpedo which lost him a bass and a red spinner which had a few bass follow. I tried throwing a brown trout FLR-6, hot tiger SSR-5, Skip Jack prop bait, and custom painted Spit'n Image. Caught a 1 pound cookie cutter with the Heddon and an 8" bullgill with the FLR-6. Missed out on a nice bass a number of times with the Skip Jack.

Later we moved over to the large pond seeing there weren't any golfers on the back 9. Lots of growth had occurred at the pipes and by the island but we still tried fishing there. Mike landed a cookie cutter with a parrot XR-6 and I lost a bass with the Skip Jack.

Last stop was the northwest corner of the large pond and the southern end of the west pond. I caught a cookie cutter with the Skip Jack at the northwest corner and mike lost a bass and caught a dinky bluegill on the XR-6.

Once it was 4pm we hit the road.

We were lucky with how quiet the golf course was as for golfers and rangers. Lots of brush has grown along the shores of many ponds, which we believe was meant intentionally by the owner of the golf course to prevent access for fishermen. They always used to trim the brush.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openly admitting "Poaching?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^depends on your idea of poaching. I say if it isn't harming anybody, your intentions are good, and your not demolishing the fish population then go ahead and "poach." Poaching is not a term that should be applied to catch and release situations with fishing especially at a place like a golf course. If anything your risking your own ass being out there since a ball could hit you at any time. However, I happen to know the Michael has been going there for a long time with little resistance from the owners/rangers of the course so I do not believe he felt what he was doing was "poaching" per say, but view it whichever way you'd like. If you want to look down on a person because they want to throw some casts out in a golf course pond then so be it, I know I won't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's poaching / trespassing........... They described it perfectly. Breaking the law or property owners rules. "Tall Weeds. Probably to keep people out!!!!!" I know Michael has been going there a long time also and has "Been Thrown Out." Insurance/Liability reasons.

Security guards patrol the property? That says "Stay Out."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't bothering anyone, weren't hurting anyone or damaging property and were happy so honestly.... who cares? I hate people who say "Because it's illegal it's wrong", ever think that some of our laws are wrong? SMH Rolling Eyes
mikeyinstfd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually spent most of the time there with one of the employees who was scuba diving for golf balls. Him and his dog Buddy pulled out three huge bags.
Ranger saw us and asked if we caught anything.
Once we reached area marked as no fishing we stopped.
They know Michael there and as long as he's no distraction to the golfers they usually don't care.
I understand where your coming from but we were never asked to leave and saw maybe 2 golfers the whole time.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't express that in your first post! Besides. I know a young lady that was struck by a golf ball her father Teed'ed off with. She now lives in a group home and has for the past thirty years. Her father hasn't touched a club since. The course owners insurance and the owner have paid dearly for that one ball.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The risk of a $154 fine and having all your gear permanently confiscated is reason alone to stay away from off limit areas, but to each their own. In this case, if a Range came it sounds like there was no harm done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to confiscate your gear at a golf course they'll just tell you to leave. Worst case scenario they call the police who will likely tell you to go fish somewhere else because the last thing an officer gives a crap about is a couple of guys/kids fishing at a golf course. I understand the liability issue with the course and I am no lawyer, but how would it be any different if the scuba diver at course was struck with a ball? No matter who gets hit doing what the course/insurance company will likely have to write a check for the same amount. Not mention that this is the absolute worst case scenario we are talking about here. If you sued after getting hit by a golf ball in a place your weren't supposed to be then I probably would look down on you for that, much more so than if you were someone who "poaches" at golf courses with good intentions. However, I certainly wouldn't say anything if any of you did either of these things because I don't care what you do, what you do is on you. I just like to be able to look at myself in the mirror at the end of each day.

In response to the guy who proposed that many of the laws may be wrong, well I completely agree. Think about it like this, how many of you would willingly take a pee in the woods if you had to? My guess is a lot of you. Is that not also considered breaking the law? Would you look at someone differently if you knew they were guilty of that? Hopefully not, my point is many of us do not know each other beyond this forum, so lets try to all be a little less judgmental since we may not know what another individuals situation may be. This way we do not make any distasteful comments followed by a "well you didn't say that to begin with." Let everyone be themselves without judgement. If you don't like something don't worry about it and I'm sure you'll get over it pretty quick since this is on an internet forum not in-person. I am not attacking anybody, but since I joined this site there has always been a considerable amount of judgement which isn't cool. Now if a member brags about how he snuck into a fenced-in reservoir and took 4 fat pregnant female largies home for dinner, then yes judge him, he's an a-hole. So I suppose what I am really getting at is that there is a time and there is place to pass judgement.

My personal view of law is that they are designed to be looked at with considerable amounts of gray area since their applications are often better suited for certain situations than others. That is why a little old thing called warnings (verbal or non-verbal) exist. Therefore, I will not let a law impact my personal outlook on someone or something because a strict view of law can easily make a perfectly nice, kind individual into a delinquent/criminal. Lastly, something to think about, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make a noise? If you break the law and there is nobody around to tell you that you are breaking the law are you really breaking the law? Is law anything without individuals to enforce them? That is up to you to decide since your idea of breaking the law may be very different than mine or a police officer or game warden. I think life is what you make of it, however you choose to lead your life is your choice not mine. Just thoughts of mine while sitting at work on this beautiful day wishing I could go fishing. And if you disagree with me, don't pm me, I really don't care to argue. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice I didn't PM! Haven't yet and won't!

Sorry dude! But speaking from a law enforcement point of view, you wasted a lot of energy on absolute nonsense with your opinion and concerns for the public and public property.

If I could I would take you on a tour of the senseless law breakers I watch every day.

It's unfortunate but the only time people like yourself want laws enforced is when the law being broken is against you. Otherwise if your the one breaking it, it's OK. I just don't understand the younger generations mentality these days.

Forum Title "SNUCK IN" "Against The Law! ..............

Last edited by Wanna Fish on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to add some fuel to the fire but always seeing arguments on the internet makes me wonder why post something if you know you're going to get an argument about it hahah. No offense to michael, the good spots nowadays are where nobody goes, and nobody goes there for a reason. Were not perfect and everyone breaks a law every now and then but you probably shouldn't tell people about you doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all need to relax and lay down those internet muscles.

Risk vs. Reward. We all make decisions and live with the consequences/benefits.

Michael, your posts always seem to stir up some stupid debate (not that its your fault).
RTownsend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wanna Fish" I just don't understand the younger generations mentality these days.

Forum Title "SNUCK IN" "Against The Law! ..............[/quote]

I'm not sure if I'm young enough to count, but I see that kind of mentality as a direct result of BS laws and BS enforcement. Seems like a while ago you could do things much differently, now there's a law for everything so that politicians can justify their jobs and so that PDs can justify a huge budget. All the towns around me have 20+ brand new cop cars/SUVs, fanciest equipment every year...and they need to justify the spending. So let's write more tickets and arrest more people instead of giving warnings.

I have nothing against police officers and am really good friends with several, this is a bigger issue than that. But gone are the days of (most) cops trying to educate and help the citizens, explain the laws and let them off with a warning. Now it's "let's see how many things we can charge them with and let the judge decide what sticks."

My personal views are that if someone isn't hurting anyone or anything then leave them alone, and I'm sure that I've broken plenty of stupid laws made by stupid politicans and really couldn't care less. I'm going to keep doing what makes me happy while not infringing on other's happiness. Happy fishing everyone Very Happy
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when are "poaching" and "trespassing" BS laws? Your paranoid and hypocritical justifications for your behavior only prove Wanna Fish's point. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if you want to fish private waters, grow up and ask for permission from the owner. In my experience, they appreciate the courtesy and will often grant it to you. And if they don't, there are many terrific public waters to fish in Connecticut.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree. If it isn't a problem, then why not get permission. Where do you stop with this line of thinking? Just because you feel you can and should doesn't make it right. This entitlement behavior only serves to limit our access and portray fisherman negatively. Follow the rules and respect other peoples rights and property. The point of getting hit by a golf ball is spot on, your forcing your liability onto others who have to the burden of having to pay for it. They are not operating a private pond, they are conducting business as a golf course.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: