CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Some advice, please!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steak And Eggs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Some advice, please! Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Just wanna say first off that this forum is awesome, and I've learned a bunch of stuff just from reading the posts.

So I finally got my boating license back and my little Boston Whaler (13') in the water. I have a couple places I wanna hit out on the water and I'm mainly goin for Stripers and blues (but I'll take pretty much anything) but I need some advice--well, A LOT of advice. I'm gonna ask a whole bunch of questions, and any answer to one or more would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

-Lures: I've always been a bait guy, but it seems like more fish are caught on lures than anything else. I've heard a lot about sluggos: what color should I use for different days and how should I rig it? Jig head? Should I troll it? Cast it? Jig it on the bottom? What about like a shad rap or diving lures/topwater?

-On the water: what kind of bottom/current should I look for? I assume that rocks/reefs/etc would be best, should i troll over it, anchor up current and chum, drift over it? I also understand that there's gonna be a ton of different strategies based on the time of day/tide/current/weather, but it'd be cool to know what works for most people.

I have been fishing since I was 12 down in Florida, from grouper in the Gulf to dolphin, wahoo, and sailfish in the Keys. All I wanna do now is catch some bluefish, stripers, and maybe a fluke or too in my tiny, tiny little boat. Smile

So thanks in advance guys, looking forward to reading your responses.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sluggos should only come out this time of year where you are sure there are no bluefish around....
Get a popper and fish it at sunrise and sunset

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All methods you mentioned will work at certain times. Trolling a Tube & Worm from a small boat is deadly! Research online and you'll get a good education on the T&W.
Vikingned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you post in the fishing buddies forum, plan a trip with a non-boat owner who knows the sound and fishing tech's, on how to catch the local species

Also, someone who would be willing to show you some hot spots they may know.....

Best of luck,
Ned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: