CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: some fish sunday after the rain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: some fish sunday after the rain Reply with quote

Decided to head out to one of my favorite local waters the Natchaug River today. I had a guide trip there two Fridays ago and then took my 3 girls there the following Sunday. the two guys I guided did very well as did my 3 daughters. Met my Buddy Carl at 10:30 head through the hollow over to Eastford, closer to the river we got the harder it rained. When we got to the spot we were going to fish it was raining like mad and thunder and lightning was close by. We put waders and rain gear on and the rain slowed enough and the T&L stopped so we rigged up and headed in to the first deep run, water was clear but there was a lot of leave litter and buds floating just under the surface. so my idea of a dry and dropper was out. I rigged up a couple of nymphs and started to drift the outside seam and let my bud fish the inside seam. it took all of 3 casts to hook a big rock and break off both nymphs. I had on 6x as this spot if one of the now infamous state of Connecticut trout parks, they stock once a week thru Memorial Day. It gets stocked on Wednesday or Thursday most weeks so by the weekend the fish have been pounded. It also has a decent amount of larger holdover fish but they seem to be a bit tippet shy. Well the next hour and a half was a repeat of this a few casts hung up on something pull it free half the time I would have to retie one or both flies on. I kept moving down the run but still the same thing. Then I noticed as I was lifting to make a roll cast a trout followed the nymphs right up to the surface. I switched places with Carl and started to swing a yellow caddis pupa and a sparkle pupa. on about my 4 or 5 swing I hooked a small rainbow and landed it. That was the only fish for almost two hours, so we moved a few pools down river to a deep pool with a side channel and a good back eddy with a back wash flowing into it. i fished the same tow flies for a while with not fish, then I noticed a flash about 20 feet across from be just above the tail out. Changed my bottom fly to a TH green rock worm, third cast line stops I set the hook into a good fish after a good showing I landed a beautiful holdover Bow of about 16" it's body width all but filled my hand. I release this fish and watched the spot again saw another flash a little farther upstream. Made bad cast but was able to throw a couple of big mends into it and hooked another Bow this one was only about 12" but it had tons of spots on it's back. I got one more small bow for this spot, but fish were still flashing so I put Carl in there as he only had a little while longer to fish. he tried for about 20 minutes and hooked tow but they came unbuttoned. He had to go so I decided to work my way into the next pool up. Saw some olives hatching but no fish rising so I put on a beatis biot emerger and a pheasant tail below it. I fished into the deeper most part of the pool and as it was starting to come up of the bottom a fish took. landed another bow about 12" over the next hour and a half I hooked another 7 fish landed 4 of them lost two with back hook sets and one took me into some brush. all of the trout were bows except the last one it was fat 13" brown trout. It started slow but ended up to be a good day, some fish and great company.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another awesome report Steve.

Glad the bad weather didn't keep you from fishing. Sounds like you had a slow start but ended up being a great day with a lot of fish caught.

I am slowly starting to understand your fly fishing lingo. LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob,
thanks it can get a bit confusing some times even for an old fart like me. I did not know what the day would bring so I decided to not ruin your begining by having a real crapy day. With all this rain look slike rivers will be out for a week or so , but I will keep in touch with ya.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: