CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Spawning Blackfish - Please take note
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Spawning Blackfish - Please take note Reply with quote

With the season re-opened 7/1/14, decided to try my luck at some white chins Saturday. Headed down to St Mary's an hour before low to load up on Asians. With a full bucket, we headed out at dead low.

After a few tries battling the gusts of wind up to 25knots, we got both anchors to stick and put ourselves right on some great structure. Once the incoming started to roll, the bite lit up.

First fish 20" and right into the box. Second fish came soon after, and was pulling line like a 10 pounder. Netted it to find out it was a fat 8 lbs spawning fish, immediately released. The next four keeper sized fish were all spawning fish with big belly's full of future tautog. All released. Got a bunch of shorts and a few non-spawning keeper sized fish throughout the day for the table.

Please keep this in mind if going out for tog or if you get one as bycatch. I believe the prolonged colder winter is keeping water temps fairly low for this time of year (62.5 F) and has delayed their spawning. I understand the season is open and the creel is 2 fish, but if a fish looks like it has too full of a belly, best to let it back. Tautog tend to return to the same reef, so those fish are the ones you will catch at your spot a few years down the road. I gave CT DEEP a call to let them know, but there is little they can do once the season is already open. Just be mindful if you're out targeting blackfish.

Pictures to come shortly.
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20"

Spawning Fish

Last edited by RLoutdoors on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ctsalt12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I tried blackfishing on Sunday in my usual spots where I hammer them in the fall. Got nada, I was perplexed. This is my first time summer blackfishing, i was wondering if they take different bait but I guess not.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate the tog seasons as they are. One of them is always during the spawn. They could indeed do something about it. Move the posted season! Nice to see you releasing the egg stuffed females. Nice job out there!
Chunks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Great post, great catchin' and even greater info. I personally, really appreciate it. I am planning on doing some summer toggin' and will certainly us the info you posted. I agree fully with your comments on the colder water temps than usual and the fact these fish are behind in their typical egg laying cycle.

Tight lines,
junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nailed a few inshore and yup some are still loaded with eggs, even some non keepers. Good thing they're not targeted as much during the summer but their out there and fairly shallow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: