CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Spinner baits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Spinner baits Reply with quote

Okay guys... let me have it.

I have 2 spinner baits (The bass ones, not the inline trout/smallie ones) and haven't caught anything on them yet. With or without trailers.. I've tried steady retrieves, a steady retrieve with a pulse and nothing. Also, abott 50% I have to yank on it to get it to sit right and shake. Is there any trick to using these?
Old standby push button
toptech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of Spinner Baits are they? Like what company? Not saying that everything expensive works better but if they are cheap that could be your problem with them not acting correctly. Spinner bait bites in my opinion are a very hot or cold type bait(like everything...lol). I have had days where I have crushed fish then the next day nothing. I dont fish them a lot cause I dont like them but I have found when nothing else works they will and when everything else works they wont...haha
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like white spinner baits with silver colorado blades for clear and lightly stained water. I use black spinner baits with gold willow in stained water. The spinner bait is great this time of year. The can be fished in heavy weeds, If you feel the action stop just give it a jerk and the weeds usally come free. I sometimes real them just below the surface to make a wake and they get clobbered. They are great for covering a lot area. Don't give up on them. August is a great month for spinner bait action.

Justin
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have the same white/black setup as you mentioned, the brand, I don't remember but I figured out that my swivel is sliding down and getting caught in with the blades so I closed the gap at the top with a pair of needle nose. This worked pretty well considering I caught my best fish last night (3lb 9 0z) on the black spinner bait, and yes they do clobber them. We weren't having much luck with the steady retrieve but the yo-yo did wonders. Thanks for the "don't give up" Im hooked on them now!
Old standby push button
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinnerbait bite has been slow this year..be patient
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went out again last night to Crystal, this time I took the kayak and fishing was slow. Started with the usually fool proof drop shot and missed a couple getting used to hooksets from a kayak. Ended up with one bass around a pound and decided to throw the spinner for practice and decided I wouldn't let myself switch. Well, I caught nothing on it...there was a guy there also with a black spinner bait pulling in left and right. He just said he had the black blades...could it have made that big of difference? Now I'm contemplating painting mine black. Any ideas?
Old standby push button
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wishin I feel your pain, it took me 3 years to build confidence in them, I think the best thing to do is hook up with somebody that will give you confince in them, they have their times, I like to throw them like I want to loose them, I pitch them in trees, wake them so they jump out of the water and clank, the best thing I think you can do with them is bang them into something then let it flutter, thats when I usually get pounded, especially on the river
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wishin your night fishing, try the strike king midnight special 1/2 ounce put a swimming chunk on and throw that, Let me know how you do.
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've spent my fishing money already this summer, so that'll have to wait. I noticed its a colorado blade and my black one is a willow leaf. I have a white colorado that I haven't thought about using a night but maybe. Thanks for the advice.
Old standby push button
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishin, switch the blades, put the colorado blade on the black spinnerbait, and the willow leaf blade on the white spinnerbait.

You are going to throw the black spinnerbait with the colorado blade at night, you will not benefit from the silver willow leaf at night, as it's purpose is to reflect sunlight and send out flases like a small school of baitfish, use the white spinnerbait with the silver willow leaf blade during bright periods. The colorado blade has more resistance in the water, and will push more water off of it, and the fish will be able to home in on it quicker than a willow leaf blade at night. Also paint the colorado blade black as you suggested, this will help too, as bass looking up at your bait near the surface at night, black will be more easily seen as a dark siloutte. Maybe your mother, sister, or girlfriend has some black nail polish left over from halloween you can use to paint it with, since your on a tight budget. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Slimecoat

I switched the blades and am going to paint the colorado tonight. took me a minute to see its like the ring on a key chain, just very tiny for my fat american fingers.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks again for the help
Old standby push button
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blades on a spinnerbait are much more important than the body-color. Here are some general things to keep in mind:
- Willow leaf blades for flash & sight attraction
- colorado blades for thump & sound/vibration attraction
- shiny blades for reflection and are seen better in the sun
- painted blades for low-light conditions and are seen better on cloudy days.

(Personally, I like them best over wind-blown points, flats and shorelines. Cool )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: