CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: spinning or baitcasting reel?????
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishingkik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: spinning or baitcasting reel????? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
My first post all season. I have a very important question for you all. Well, I just purchased a team daiwa tierra spinning reel for $115 from bass pro shops and I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it. So ,I've used it once and like it but, at the same time I want to learn how to use a baitcasting reel. So, I was thinking of maybe returning it and putting the money towards a team daiwa zillion baitcaster which is $249 since I already have a spinning reel that I like. Do you think I should return it or not and also how long is it going to take me to learn how to use the baitcaster? I figured I would ask you guys and not the guys from bass pro because I'm sure they would want me to buy the more expensive reel. Also, just one other question, if I stick with a spinning reel do you think I should keep the daiwa tierra for $115 or move up to the shimano stradic MgFB for $229? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a three hour drive from the nearest bass pro shop and I don't want to have to go back for a while and I don't want to order online and pay the shipping to recieve and possibly return the product. So someone please respond ASAP because I am leaving tommarrow morning. Thanks so much guys and good luck fishing.
fishingkik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the links of the reels I am considering.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91207_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98306_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_85312_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zillion is a top notch reel. If you want to take a few cast with one ( I have 8 with all different gear ratios U.S. and Japanesse models) shoot me a PM. I live in Bristol and you could just swing by my house and I will pull one out of the boat for you. For spinning gear I would stick with Shimano. Their reels are a little smaller than the Daiwa's, have more line capacity, and I have had great luck with them.
fishingkik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot chuckc for the quick reply. I have no doubt that the zillion is a great reel from what I've read about them but, I have never used a baitcaster before. How long do you think it will take a beginner to master those reels? Also do you think the shimano stradic would be worth an extra $115 over the daiwa tierra? One other thing, how do the baitcasters perform with soft plastics and jigs because that is what I mostly use. Thanks again.
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it’s a little late, but if you want a good baitcasting reel that is inexpensive at this point, go to www.tacklewarehouse.com and buy one of the Shimano Citica’s. After the rebate, it will only cost you $70 and it will last you a long time and is a great reel. It will also leave you money left over to pick up a spinning reel, maybe you’ll have to throw in a couple of bucks extra.

You definitely don’t need to buy that model of the Stradic since the 2007 FH model is a perfect spinning reel and you can pick up a new one on e-bay for less than half the price of the MgFB.
fishingkik

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after many decisions I went with a shimano sustain FE. I will post pics and a review on how it performs once I break it in. I also bought a bass pro shops johny morris signature rod for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: