CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Spofford Lake, NH Bass Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ME_fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Spofford Lake, NH Bass Fishing Reply with quote

Maybe I should call it Rock Bass fishing instead though because we easily caught more Rock Bass than any other species combined.

Thursday night Dave and I went out for a quick 1 hour+ trip. I ended up with five fish for the night. 2 rock bass, 1 tiny pike, 1 short smb, and 1 keeper lmb just before dark on a spider grub. Dave got the skunk.

Friday we fished all day in the monsoon (wind and heavy rain) the hurricane brought through. I did well and Dave struggled in the morning. In the afternoon he kept up well, but didn't get the number of keeper bass I did. All the fish we caught were relating tight to a steep drop off near a flat. If you didn't have your bait on the drop you wouldn't get bit. All species were there, rock bass (lots of them), smb, lmb, and one decent ~24" pike. So I caught a triple crown (smb, lmb, pike), but was hoping for a grand slam. The pike was the biggest I've caught in there which got loose and into the water without being photographed. Nearly all the fish except a couple were caught with a drop shot without any movement. I ended the day with about 10 keepers 8 of which were good size and one of the fattest smb I've caught (pictures don't do it justice). That's the best day I've had there that time of year.

Saturday we only had four hours to fish and I wish we had more. The conditions were much better with a light breeze and occasional sprinkles. The fish were very active, but we did struggle to find keepers. I have a feeling though that if we found them we could have done very well. I completed the grand slam I wanted to catch, but I was hoping to do it all in one day. (SMB, LMB, Pike, and Rainbow) The rainbow was 17.5". I think we both ended with 2 keepers, but both of us must have caught over 20 fish including big bluegills today. Again all on the drop shot, but now the fish seemed to be closer to the top edge of the drop and maybe even onto the flat a little.

Sunday I should have figured out that given the migration of the fish on Saturday that the pattern would be fishing the tops of the flats. Walt joined us and spanked us good because we believe he was hitting the tops of the flats instead of the edges where Dave and I were still casting. Walt caught four keepers (all lmb) in the two hours we fished, Dave caught one nice keeper smb, and I broke off a nice lmb. We each caught more than enough rock bass to keep the morning lively and I added a few short smb and lmb.

Here are the pictures. We had to keep some in the live well and take the picture in a gazeebo on shore to save the camera from getting ruined, but all fish went back happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: