CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 03/01
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 03/01 Reply with quote

In my report about fishing the Farmington River in Simsbury with jonnyfly00 (aka Jon) and TurtleKiss (aka Kira) on 01/06, I mentioned that we had planned to fish at Spring Pond in Avon that day but didn't, because it was posted as "No. . . Ice Fishing Allowed":

The sign cited The Town of Avon's Ordinance #49. I'm retired, but I'm still enough of a lawyer to look up Avon's ordinances and regulations as they pertain to fishing. And none of them, including Ordinance #49, prohibit or otherwise limit ice fishing at Spring Pond. So, I called the Director of Avon's Recreation and Park Department. He was aware that there are no restrictions on ice fishing and conceded that the prohibition on the sign is unenforceable. He told me to be very careful on the ice, because Spring Pond really is fed by springs that can make the ice cover on the pond very uneven. So, yeah, I fished it today, from 2:15 pm to 5:45 pm. Here are a few videos:

Link

Link

Link

There was a steady 10 mile per hour north by northwest wind that made the day feel much colder than yesterday. I didn't get any flags at all today. And I didn't get any nibbles while jigging the holes that were close to the shore of the north island. All told, I jigged up three sunnies, one short (i.e., 11 inch) largemouth bass and one fall fish, all from holes that were closer to the middle of the pond. Here's the bass:

And here's the fall fish:

I'm sure that I'll be back to drill a lot more holes in the middle of the pond soon.

Last edited by PECo on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnyfly00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets do it. And another trip to the bait shop.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon - Just say when and I'll be there. The bass that I pulled out of Spring Pond was more vibrantly colored than every single one that we pulled out of the upper pond at Countryside Park.

Oh, when I packed my tip-ups, the shiner from the tip-up that I set near where I thought the weedline is was missing. I didn't get a flag, but something might have stolen it. There are some big largemouth bass and chain pickerel in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: