CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 05/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Spring Pond 05/07 Reply with quote

JJay (aka Jason) received a new kayak in the mail on Friday and had to be in New York all weekend, so he was getting anxious to try it out for the first time. We decided to meet at Spring Pond for a quick paddle after he left work. I got on the water at the culvert on the west shore of the south cove in my kayak, El Habañero, at 5:30 pm. There was little to no wind on the pond. I paddled across to the east shore of the south cove and began banging the still slightly flooded shoreline in a counter-clockwise direction with a wacky-rigged green pumpkin/red flake Senko. The Town of Avon has cleared a ton of brush from the woods that border the pond, so it's less wild-looking than it used to be. After 25 minutes, the only hits I got on the Senko were small. I figured they were sunnies or crappies and then I snagged up one of them:

Sunny! I was considering swapping out my wacky-rigged Senko for a crappie tube and bobber when I finally got a bite from a 14 inch largemouth bass:

Jason paddled up at 6:10 pm. He was a litte late because he had a hard time figuring out how to cartop his new, larger kayak, which is a Native Ultimate FX12:

Jason paddled to the west side of the pond and worked his way up the shore with a wacky-rigged Senko and Zoom Horny Toad. He ended up catching a largemouth bass with the Senko near the north island. I caught another 14 incher along the east shore before I started working my way across the north shore. I finally got a decent hit on the Senko and the fish headed underneath my kayak for deeper water, pulling drag as it spun me around. I worried that it was a chain pickerel, but it wasn't:

Whoo hoo! My lunker largemouth bass was 19 inches long and weighed three pounds, seven ounces. I met up with Jason in the middle of the north shore and ended up catching three more largemouth bass, all shorts or close to it, before we headed off of the water at sunset (i.e., 7:58 pm).

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lunker!
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Phil, and nice yak JJay.

Where did you order it from?

I got my Native Manta Ray through Appomattox River Company.
JJay

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics Phil.

Coastieyaker, I ordered with www.ACK.com

Hiya Derek!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch Phil!

Have fun paddling your yak around Jay!
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys, gonna take the yaks out over the weekend, registering our boat in the next couple weeks.
Mase2020

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guys, J-Jay nice to see you have a new fish catching machine to showcase at the tourney.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: