CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 05/09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 05/09 Reply with quote

I pedaled my Hobie i9s and fished for black crappie at Spring Pond from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. While the action wasn't as fast and furious as it was a week earlier when I was there with asianfisher (aka Billy), I caught 16 crappie and two sunnies within the first hour that I was on the water.

Like a week earlier, there were tons of crappie off of the southeast shore of the south island. I was using a 1/16 ounce round jig head with a two inch chartreuse Mister Twister type swirly tail grub, suspended eight to 18 inches underneath a bobber. Most of the bites came within two feet of the shore or a laydown. After an hour, I began venturing around the pond. I caught a couple of crappie near the middle of the east shore and a yellow perch off of the southeast shore of the north island. But the bite was a lot slower than it was off of the southeast shore of the south island. I caught my 24th and 25th crappie off of the south end of the east shore. I didn't keep any, although six of the 25 were about 12 inches long. Since my goal had been to catch two dozen crappie, I headed off of the water.

After I beached my Hobie, I used my paddle to pull up what I think is a goose egg that I had spotted a foot deep on the bottom of the pond.

I have no idea how or why it was there, but it's completely intact. I gotta get the insides out of it before it begins to rot.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun time.
atkins

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Saw an abandon goose nest with eggs on eagleville lake, didnt realize how big those things were
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, big egg...

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

Balut Question

SeaDog1 Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Laughing Surprised Laughing

That never occurred to me, Stephen!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: More evidence that I'm a moron. . . Reply with quote

This morning, I finally decided to try and empty out the contents of the goose egg. When I was a kid, I learned how to make small holes in the top and the bottom of an egg, and blow into the top hole to force the contents out of the bottom hole. However, I recently saw a woman on television demonstrate how she makes those highly decorated Ukrainian eggs and she had a different method. She would make a single hole in the bottom of an egg and use a needle through the hole to inject air into the egg, forcing the contents out of the same hole. That seems like a more elegant way to empty an egg to me, because it results in only one hole in the bottom of the egg.

So, I used a Dremel to grind a perfect hole into the bottom of the egg and pulled out my air compressor. I put an inflation needle on the compressor and held the egg in my kitchen sink. I stuck the needle into the hole. I turned the compressor on for a fraction of a second and the contents started to slowly drip out of the hole. I thought, "Wow, this really works.", and turned the compressor on for a couple more seconds when, "POP!", the egg exploded. Shocked Yes, I literally had egg on my face! Embarassed Obviously, the woman on TV uses a much lower pressure to force the contents out of her eggs. I probably also could have made the hole a little bit bigger to provide more room for the contents to escape.

Luckily, the egg exploded more like a solar flare than the Death Star and only a little bit of the contents escaped from the confines of the sink. I think that the egg must have ruptured down in the structurally weaker area around the hole that I had ground into it. I failed pretty spectacularly today, but if I ever find another goose egg, I'd give this method of emptying the contents another shot. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was pretty funny!

Reminds me of the time when i tried to boil an egg in the microwave... that was a death star explosion.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: