CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 05/16, 05/17, 05/18 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Spring Pond 05/16, 05/17, 05/18 Reply with quote

I fished Spring Pond from my kayak over the last three days. It's truly a cartop only pond; there is no boat ramp and no dock. I talked with several shore fishermen there, but only two would acknowledge speaking english. One said he's a regular there and fishes for mostly calico bass/papermouth bass/black crappie. Another was fishing a salamander on a jig along the southeastern shore and pulled up a couple of keeper largemouth bass. There are carp in the pond, including an albino, and a gold and black one. On Tuesday, 05/18, they were extremely active; it must be spawning season for them. They were wriggling around on the surface all over the pond.

Sunday, 05/16 - I had my biggest day ever. I usually remember every fish I catch, but I actually lost count. I caught more than 20 largemouth bass, probably 24. Most were keepers and a quarter were over two pounds. The first one I caught on the north end of the pond, and it was 17 inches and 2 lb 11 oz, which was my new personal best. Later on, I caught an 18-incher on the south end that weighed exactly the same and became my new personal best. The biggest one I actually caught was in the northeast corner, but I dropped it after I removed the hook. I'm certain that it was over 18 inches and 3 lbs; a real fatty.

I was throwing wacky-rigged five-inch worms. I didn't catch any fish near either of the two islands. I caught a few along the shore on the northwest corners of the pond, but the best fishing was in the northeast corner. I got to see a couple of bass take the worm after I pulled it out of the vegetation on the shore and paused my retrieve. I also caught a couple of big ones in the center of the cove on the south end. I twitched the worm over the weeds about five or six feet from my kayak and the bass came up from underneath to hit it. Most of the rest I caught along the eastern shore on the south end. The wind came up too strong for me at about 3:00 PM, so I took off.

Monday, 05/17 - I caught only four largemouth bass, but one of them was a beauty. It was 20 inches and 3 lbs 9 oz; my new personal best! I also caught a 20-inch chain pickerel underneath the trees on the eastern shore of the south end.

I had an exciting moment when I hooked a fish on a cast away from the northeastern shore. It pulled my kayak more than 10 feet for about 10 seconds (it felt like 20), but spit the hook before ever coming to the surface. It felt more like a pickerel than a bass, but now that I've thought about it, it might have been a carp.

Tuesday, 05/18 - I caught seven largemouth bass. On my second cast in the middle of the south cove, I caught one that was 18 inches and 2 lb 11 oz. I think it was the same fish I caught on Sunday. It was exactly the same length and weight, and I caught it in the same spot. On my fourth cast, I caught a 12-incher. The fishing slowed quite a bit after that. I caught another 12-incher on the north shore, and two more 12-inchers, a 14-incher and a 9-incher on the northeastern shore. It started to rain at 11:45 AM and I wasn't dressed for it, so I took off.

Last edited by PECo on Wed May 19, 2010 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats fun!! congrats on your PB!!!!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stratos. Hey, are you still in Bristol? If so, where do you usually fish?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Spring Lake? Is that Fishers MEadow?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job PECo. Must be nice fishing consecutive days..........do you ever have time for work? Very Happy I may join you sometime as I just got my Hobie ProAngler going for a yak outting.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavyweight80 - Shhh, it's just a tiny little pond, not a big lake. Wink

SkeeterJim - I'm the luckiest person you'll ever meet. I retired when we moved to Connecticut almost five years ago. I never thought I'd leave Chicago, but my wife took a job in Hartford and agreed to let me stay home to clean, cook, schlep, and take care of her and the kids in general. My mornings and early afternoons are usually mine to do as I please. And I please to fish, thank you!

Did you get one of those Hobies with the pedal drive? I have neither a tow nor a large vehicle, so my little blue eight-foot sit-inside non-powered kayak is all I can handle. I turn green with envy whenever I see those Hobies or those other kayaks with trolling motors. I spoke with a guy trolling with a spoon from his kayak on Batterson last week. He was flying!

If the weather forecast holds up, I'll be fishing again tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to schlep my son to the doctor in the morning, but I'll probably get out on the water around noon.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you always have the greatest reports, I enjoy reading them. If i knew how to swim I would be out there on a kayak myself Crying or Very sad

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 - You don't have to know how to swim! You could probably stand up in most of the places I fish. And you'd wear a PFD (i.e., Personal Flotation Device/life preserver), anyway.

I fished from the shore out here for about a year before I got an inflatable Coleman kayak. I graduated to my current kayak when I figured out that it would fit in my car. I have to move the front passenger seat forward, take out the rear seat cushion and fold the rear seatbacks down to do it, but it works. Putting in/taking out my kayak from my little car is like a circus clown car act.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I am the one with envy when someone can retire at such an early age. You my friend are one lucky dude. Yes I got the Hobie with the pedal drive. It's true what they say......once you try a Hobie you never go back. Nothing like being able to move silently along the water with fishing pole in hand (not a paddle) and continuously fish while using your legs to move along. Spent over $2500.00 bucks on the Hobie and accessories and I am enjoying every penny of it. Not only can you peddle longer that most people can paddle but no more sore shoulders and arms, you get your excercise and never have to put your fishing pole down. If you would like to get together somtime for some yak fishing let me know.

Jim
Fishface

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil, Thanks for the in depht reports. Jim I am trying to save for a Hobie, My Kayak does the trick. I think my last time at Hamburg I made about twenty laps around the big cove. I wish i had a hand held GPS because I guessing that the cove has to be at least 3/4 to a mile around.

Tim
DV

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I want a Hobie, the CT river kills my arms.I wonder if they sell that pedal drive assembly separate, I am sure I could macgyver it into my canoe.

Where is Spring lake, I can't seem to find it with google. Is it anywhere near East Windsor?
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the secrets out... Crying or Very sad
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, BT. I suck at keeping secrets. It takes too much effort.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, I have been enjoying reading them. Great job on the PB!!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man have fun fishing next to everyone else the next few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: