CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 05/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 05/27 Reply with quote

My father-in-law and I hit Spring Pond in our kayaks again this morning. We met up with DV in his canoe, who had rescued my father-in-law's cellphone from the water's edge yesterday. Thanks again, DV!

I think yesterday's bassless day made my father-in-law finally give up on his other lures and decide to stick with the wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon/flake senkos that had worked so well for me yesterday.

Well, it worked for him today. He caught a big sunny and four largemouth bass, the biggest of which was his third at 18 inches, 2 lbs 5 oz. He yelled to me, "It's bigger than my arm!"

Meanwhile, I was getting skunked all over the pond. After he caught the 18-incher, I finally landed a fish; a little black crappie on a swirly-tail jig. Phew! At least I didn't get totally shut out.

We had to leave the water at noon because my in-laws had to head home. As the urgency of our imminent departure mounted, I switched to a wacky-rigged five-inch watermelon/red flake senko and pitched it into the center of a patch of weeds. As it sank to the bottom, I felt it get tugged to the side and it was Fish On! But only for three seconds, as I lost it. At this point, I had been pulled into the center of the patch, so I pitched my lure six feet to the right and to my surprise it was Fish On again! I had guessed right!

My only largemouth bass of the day was 19 inches, 3 lbs exactly. It was skinny for its size. Its belly actually felt hollow, so I think it must have been post-spawn. But phew again! The shut out was truly over.

DV will have to tell you how he did. He got to stay on the water after we left. But I know where he might be heading this afternoon; to TurtleKiss' mostest favoritest pond.

Hey, DV, wait for me! My in-laws are gone now!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the day with a white 1/2oz spinner bait working the weeds near the launch, I ended up getting a pretty intense strike on the edge of the first island. After that I met up with you guy and fished the weedline near the shallows at the second island. I pulled out a 16" on a 5" senko that wouldn't even register a weight on my lipgrip/scale. I paddled around the second island standing up in the canoe pitching a senko, I hooked what looked to be a 3-4 lber. With the fish peeling out drag I moved my rod tip into the water to try and stop it from jumping, well it didn't get the idea and jumped out shaking it's head and spitting out the hook. The only downfall of using heatshrink/orings is that without the bait tearing on the hookset the bass now has more counterweight to help him throw the hook. Got a few more strikes on a tube but the bite started to slow down as the sun got higher and the fish mover deeper into the weedbeds.

Hey phil nice report, sadly I never went to Battersons with the sun creeping up high again I called it quits at about 1pm. All I can think about lately is about how many people have told me that I have to check out breakneck pond, figured I would head home and save the gas for a trip up there tomorrow. I stopped at cabelas to return that crappy lip gripper and take a look at a canoe dolly. Figured I would spend the rest of the day building something similar and wading the CT river for the small mouth when it gets darker.

Here is the picture of the 16

PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: That's too bad. . . . Reply with quote

You shoulda gone to Batterson. . . . I'll post a report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: